TL;DR: Great political resume, no idea how to switch industries. Advice?
I am now looking for new employment. I have an amazing resume, but unfortunately it is all politically based. I have roughly 5 years of experience at high levels with impressive achievements both quantitatively and qualitatively speaking. I also went to a top university and present myself well. For full disclosure, I was last employed in May (I resigned amicably and have references etc), and then traveled around Europe for 6 months. I think** this is easy to explain.
The problem I am having is that a political resume appears to not line up with any other industry or line of work. Obviously, I have researching, strategic thinking, sales, marketing/media skills, and top notch writing abilities. I also posses experience managing other experts in this field, and they had probably 20 more years experience than I have had. Unfortunately, I don't have any work product that directly applies to any other job. For instance, helping getting someone elected to federal office, or procuring billions of dollars from helping to write and getting legislation passed does not directly transfer to sales or marketing, yet it relies almost exclusively on those skill-sets. Unfortunately, I recently found this out at an interview for a great business development position.
Therefore, I am looking for help in how to switch careers.
Obviously, I have googled "how to get a job outside of politics" and numerous variations thereof, and generally researched this topic. It seems that everyone is trying to get into politics instead of leave the industry. This makes sense because of the competition I have faced in the industry. Every job I have held has had hundreds of applicants for the position. That may sound great, but this fact just makes my current predicament much more frustrating.
I have also been applying to sales and marketing jobs recently. I have been told that my skills don't truly directly apply to these roles. A recent interviewer told me that I have a great attitude along with unique resume, but other applicants posses direct experience which is more attractive to these companies. I recently asked one HR person I interviewed with for advice, and they appear more than willing to help me out a little bit, but who really knows if they are sincere?
I am guessing that people who have had similar difficulties switching careers may have some advice? Or HR people, or headhunters/recruiters? At this point, I don't care where the advice comes from, I just want some direction. Simply put, any help and advice would be greatly appreciated as I have no idea where I should start.
EDIT: The weirdest part about all of this is that I have applied for jobs like dog walking, working in restaurants and even as an executive assistant because I don't want to sit at home, and have not had any luck over the last month. This is getting frustrating.
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official
Aucun commentaire: