Sorry in advance for such a long post but I need help quitting this job as cleanly and as professionally as I possibly can.
I’ve been working at this food joint for over a month, the owners are best friends with my best friend’s family, so there is no direct connection between me and the owners via blood, but my friend’s family treats me like a daughter, so in a way they also kind of feel like family. The owners even consider my best friend to be their niece. I know it sounds stupid when I explain it, but that alone makes me feel more obligated to stay with my current job.
First and foremost (and probably the one thing that would send ANYBODY running): I do not get paid minimum wage, but apparently it’s legal for them to do so because I “”work for tips”” and immediately take home whatever tips I manage to pull after a shift. The tips still do not even out the wage imbalance because I’m working $3 below MW. When I was first hired and the discussion of wage came up, I was not given a direct answer about how much I would be paid, granted I was willing to work for at LEAST MW because my state has a pretty high one, so I assumed I would at least be getting that.
That being said, I do not get paid enough to be putting up with the stuff required of me for this job. The owners have essentially been training the very few staff they have to run their business and do manager jobs without paying them a manager wage, this involves dealing with money and the books, sending off monthly reports to god knows where, keeping track of inventory, and going out and purchasing inventory ourselves with our own money and just letting us take reimbursement from the register later, etc. It is always only one person working at a time, and therefore no managers are around ever, they pop in sometimes for a short period to drop off/pick up stuff but that’s about it.
One of the owners in particular is known amongst the rest of the staff to easily blow her top and she’s not really a “the customer’s always right” kind of person, so you can imagine how she treats the rest of us. Just this week, she sent an angry long text message to everyone threatening to fire all of us because the store is disorganized and not up to her standards (I spend way too much time cleaning the store and know for a fact that the store is always as clean as it can possibly be). I can tell the other owner reeled her in shortly after her outburst because a few hours later she sent another text saying she had “late christmas gifts” for everyone hiding in one of the cabinets at the shop, and said “thank you for all you do”. The gifts were some designer wallets and things of that nature so you can tell that she knew she royally fucked up.
For the past week, the owner has been using my other coworkers as messengers and telling them to tell ME about things that I’ve been doing wrong. Not even things of importance because, not to sound delusional, but i’m a good employee. I’m such a “yes absolutely” kind of person and I take on everything and anything without complaining, I’m a quick learner and I can adapt quickly, if I make a mistake I will overanalyze the entire situation to make sure I never do it ever again, blah blah. There really isn’t anything of value that these people can be yelling at me for. Just this morning, I got a text from a coworker saying that the owner told her to tell me that I’ve been violating dress code. This place has no dress code and from what I gathered, we could essentially wear whatever we wanted within reason, obviously don’t show up dressed like you’re going out. It’s just something that was never talked about. I’ve seen leggings and sports jerseys within my time here. The violation I had was wearing these brown plaid business casual pants instead of jeans, on a day where my managers had actually been at work with me. Many other things have happened this week that made me say “this is the final straw”, but truly, this text was REALLY my final straw. She’s the owner of this business and she can’t even confront me about issues herself.
I must also mention I’m a full time student at a university that’s about 45 minutes-1 hour away (I know I know, it’s because I had to move back home last semester for financial reasons), and I have the worst work schedule I could ever possibly get and it’s already impacting my GPA. I wake up at 7am and don’t come back home until 10pm because I show up to work immediately after class. I also work these shifts 4 days in a row with one day off inbetween. It feels like i’m doing full time, which is not what I agreed to do at all.
Clearly this job is not a good one and everyone is telling me to quit, I know I should. But I’m wondering how to do it? I feel guilty leaving with or without notice either way, and I know I’m disposable so it’s not like the owners give a shit about me, but it’s my coworkers that i’m worried about. They’re all also students with another job on the side (because this one doesn’t pay enough), and it’s like I got hired to hold down the fort and fill in where no one can work. Unfortunately, it’s like no one can work EVER. In turn, I work almost 40 hours next week. Calling off, let alone getting a shift covered is just impossible. I couldn’t even call off when I was running a fever, and had to serve food while sick, which is clearly a health hazard. I’m afraid of fucking them over with my absence so that’s why i’ve just been putting up with the crap. I know I don’t owe anyone anything but I’m just way too sympathetic because we all know we’re all stuck in terrible situations working here. I’ve always left every job professionally and as cleanly as I could, and they’ve always reciprocated the same level of professionalism, so being in this unprofessional environment is really throwing me for a loop. I’ve had friends tell me to just never show up again, but the fact that the owners are within my radar of people I interact with on a very personal level makes me feel even more guilty and nervous. Since I’ve only been working for a month, I also feel like things can easily be fixed if I just demanded what I needed, but I don’t see the owners having a change of heart anytime soon. I don’t have time to make things work out.
TLDR; How do I “”professionally”” quit a job I just started where the owners are kind of close to me, but I’m being totally screwed over and my resignation will definitely screw over everyone else due to the business being so understaffed and they’ll have to pick up A LOT of the slack?
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official
Aucun commentaire: