Can/should I ask an interviewer to not call a reference I already gave them?

Hi there. I have a weird problem. Some background first: Last summer I worked a seasonal position which ended in October. I've put one of my supervisors from that job on my reference list. I have been job searching since then, and he knows I'm looking for something permanent.

Today I received an unexpected phone call: an official job offer from my previous supervisors asking me to return for another 5 month period with potential for more. I hadn't applied or interviewed for this position. They seemed like they really need the help and they definitely liked having me on the team. I did enjoy that job and am considering it, but at the same time I am itching for something permanent and in an different area. I told them I have been interviewing at other positions, which they understood, and that I could get back to them in a few weeks.

Also today, after I got this phone call, I went into an interview for a job I am very interested in. At the very end of the interview, I gave the interviewer my list of references. I messed up a bit however, because that list includes my previous supervisor who is offering me a job! I get nervous with interviews so I didn't even think to say anything when he asked me if it was alright to call anyone on that list. Now I am unpacking my day and realizing I have no idea how I should handle this situation!

I'm thinking it would probably be unprofessional and, idk, disrespectful(?) to make my previous supervisor vouch for me to be hired somewhere else while also hoping I accept his job offer. Also I don't think he would sabotage me. At the same time, would it reflect bad on me to tell my interviewer that he can't contact a reference I gave him? Also this reference is my most recent and best reference but I guess that's not as important.

How should I handle this situation? I'm thinking of using my follow-up email with my interviewer to mention that I want to retract this reference. But should I explain that I have an offer on the table? Is that too aggressive?? Or am I okay to let things play out as they are? I'm relatively new to the whole job searching etiquette stuff so I'm not sure which way to go with this.

usa jobs
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official

Can/should I ask an interviewer to not call a reference I already gave them? Can/should I ask an interviewer to not call a reference I already gave them? Reviewed by Louhi on janvier 25, 2019 Rating: 5

Aucun commentaire:

Fourni par Blogger.