What to Do When You've Fallen through the Cracks in Life?

Fellow job-seekers of Reddit, witness meeee!

This is actually my first post ever, but I've finally decided to sign up because this seems to be the place to ask for advice. Pretty much, I've been job-searching for the past several months, and it's going nowhere. I've tried using employee referrals, networking, contacting recruiters, an account on LinkedIn & my university job-board, several resume modifications, with cover letter, sans cover letter, you get the picture.

I'm not really seeking general advice though so much as feedback about what I suspect my problem is (and has been all my life, not just in finding employment). I'm pretty much a perpetual outsider and even though I'm a US citizen on paper, I've always felt like (and often been treated as) a foreigner. It's not a social-skills thing (on several occasions, people have been surprised when I've mentioned I'm really not a people person); it's more like a basic commonality that makes Americans feel warm and fuzzy (and want to hire you) just isn't there. I'm pretty good at passing, but even then, I think people just vaguely sense that I'm outside their granfalloon.

What makes it unusual from an employment perspective is that I pretty much don't have a meaningful network. While I can make decent friends easily, I'm always sort of on the periphery and have never really been in a position to expect "social support"; there have been a few good friends that did help me in important ways, but those are the exceptions. Over time, I think this has led to a vicious cycle where I have to get what I can or bide my time, then employers judge me for not being a golden-child. Then there are the periods of severe burnout, and while I don't think I've really burned any bridges either, they have a way of rotting on their own.

Does anyone else have experience with something like this? And did you finally figure out a way to make an end-run around the problem, or did it turn out to just be a misconception waiting for an epiphany?

If you're wondering about hard facts, I have a STEM degree from a decent US public university with a high GPA, plus a few years work experience and strong references. The work experience is largely in teaching/tutoring, which I'm trying to transition away from, but also with some managerial/administrative elements and even some programming. I also have multiple research experiences "demonstrating" (ah, I'm so sick of job-post language) all the usual good stuff: analytical and critical thinking, ability to write and give presentations, technical know-how, even the cyber.

usa jobs
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official

What to Do When You've Fallen through the Cracks in Life? What to Do When You've Fallen through the Cracks in Life? Reviewed by Louhi on décembre 20, 2018 Rating: 5

Aucun commentaire:

Fourni par Blogger.