I’m a recent college grad who is working full time in an HR rotational program at a tech company. Everyone in the program has a B.A. Weeks ago, we started recruiting for our 2019 cohort. My cohort was responsible for conducting first round interviews and making the decisions about who moves on to the second round.
I interviewed someone in a five year Master Degree program at a well known state school. I let her know that currently, everyone in the program has a B.A. and while we are open to master’s grads, we don’t envision redesigning the program to differentiate, so she would start at the same base pay and job level that the rest of us did. I asked if that aligned with her expectations.
She responded, “I just want to make sure I will actually be challenged in a program full of people with only undergraduate degrees. I deserve a higher base pay because I will be overqualified.”
I let her finish - she went on about this for a full 7 minutes, which is a long time in a 30 minute interview - and I replied that I had years of HR experience through internships and attended a competitive university and still found the program quite challenging, so I was sure she would be satisfied.
Her eyes grew to the size of saucers and she sputtered, “YOU’RE in the program???” The look on her face made it absolutely clear she knew she had fucked up.
If she had looked through LinkedIn for 20 minutes, she would have realized that I graduated from an Ivy League school renowned for business and every other person in the program went to a selective to highly selective university. She would have probably been able to glean that our program only hires 3 people per year. All of this is to say - it’s extremely competitive and challenging. Part of the final round interview is a presentation of a business related strategy to a panel of senior Vice Presidents.
Honestly, I respected that she made a case for herself and her graduate degree. The nail in her coffin was that it was so obvious she did absolutely no research on me, her interviewer, and she came in blazing hot in a way I was willing to forgive but my cohort was not. She was not invited back for a second round, though she probably would have been a good fit long term.
Do your research!!!
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official
Aucun commentaire: