Is it wrong of me to feel upset that an employer passed me over for this promotion?

I worked for (technically still do) one of the top men's formal wear retailers in the country, and typically how you work your way up is you start as a sales associate, then the next level up is someone who makes commission, and then from there it's basically just management. You have much more earning power when you make commission and tend to get more hours. By any means this isn't a good paying job when you're a part time sales associate, but I loved what I did and was great at it. As a sales associate it's my job to help the people who are making commission, whether or not they're involved in the sale or not. I get paid by the hour, and they're just topped up to minimum wage if they don't meet commission. I believe in what I sell there so it makes it easy, and whenever me as a sales associate gets involved, there's almost a guarantee that they'll get a great UPT from it (units per transaction).

As a salesman at heart, I know how to educate people and create a need. I have a good personality for it and have put myself out so much for this store, and what do I get? Passed over for a promotion that I worked my ass off for. I wasn't making a lot of money and was hardly meeting my bills, but I figured if I put in my time and earned that next position up it would become worth it. I was basically putting myself out financially to be available to them 24/7, in hopes I would get called in for extra shifts, but I had no minimum guarantee of hours. Some weeks I could be working 21, and others I could be down to 10. For a 25 year old man with bills to pay, this isn't exactly sustainable. Working a second job would have "hampered my availability" so it would hurt my chances of getting promoted.

I've discussed my eagerness for this position on multiple occasions with my boss, so he knew full well my intent was to move up and be nothing short of an asset to the store. He told me the position "wouldn't become available for a long time". In absolute financial squalor I'd decided to get a second job and explained that to him, but said any day that I wasn't there I would be willing to come in. He said he understood because the "hours weren't available". This new job is fantastic, pays me more and gives me a minimum of 25 hours a week. On top of that I have full benefits as a part timer, but I still loved the other job and was as dedicated to it as they'd let me. One of the guys in the next position up quit, so his position opened up. Rather than even bringing it to my attention and discussing the position, he decides to hire some random off the streets who knows NOTHING about formal wear or clothing in general and give him the position I'd worked my ass off for a year and a half to secure. On top of that he's getting way more hours than I ever got, on top of being able to earn commission. I confronted my boss there about it and he simply said this new guy "had a better personality fit" for it. Dude has no experience in sales and I can tell that, until he learns what he's talking about, will totally bomb. I doubt he will even be able to meet his stats, so in reality my boss is setting him up to fail. But then again he has a poor history of hires since he hired me. The other 3 guys call in sick or don't show up for a good 80% of their shifts. Not to say they aren't nice, but they sure as hell aren't reliable. I showed up to every shift that I could, only exception being when we had to put my dog down. I would even pay for a $30 cab to show up to a 4 hour shift they needed me for right away. I gave them everything and they completely passed me over. Now since voicing my displeasure over the situation (respectfully) to my boss there, he isn't scheduling me for any shifts for the next 4 weeks, despite me telling him my availability 3 weeks in advance. I can't help but feel insulted.

TlDr Worked my ass off for a company that clearly didn't appreciate me, put myself out financially for a year in hopes of this promotion, only for them to give it to some random newbie off the street without even discussing it with me.

usa jobs
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official

Is it wrong of me to feel upset that an employer passed me over for this promotion? Is it wrong of me to feel upset that an employer passed me over for this promotion? Reviewed by Louhi on octobre 16, 2018 Rating: 5

Aucun commentaire:

Fourni par Blogger.