First Restaurant Job initially positive but went downhill

tldr:

I am a 24 year old male with little work history. Management and employees were very happy with me at first and then after a few shifts on little sleep where i didn't work as hard suddenly started purposefully disrespecting me and have essentially given me a warning after a third shift coming in hungover. The restaurant is obviously culty and expect you to work 7 hour shifts with no breaks and a constant "sense of urgency". I have insomnia and major depressive disorder which make this difficult. But i want to keep this job to develop a work history despite possibly not being able to use them as a good reference or getting fired. I've worked 5 shifts for a total of 28 hours 23 mins. i haven't gotten my first paycheck but its 10$ an hour with shared tips to around 15$ an hour apparently

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first fishy thing was a policy of immediate termination for employees who share their 50% discount at the restaurant with a friend if they don't get anything themselves, only up to 15$ per day per employee, and emphasizing not getting anything expensive for the free daily shift meal. Then emphasizing several times to "Be happy!" One manager described how he was just like me and just needed a job and then his eyes sort of glazed over as if he had been possessed by the restaurant's spirit and said "and now ive been here for about 5 years". They have a relief fund for coworkers which is great except for seriously pressuring me to contribute (which i haven't but its just like 5$ a month which is nothing id be fine with that if they hadn't pressured me). They required i buy two specific pairs of clothing which cost me 50$ to complete their uniform. Expected to always keep the hat on with bangs tucked in. They talked about their company philosophy about how they aren't the most profitable but the "most loved". A bunch of other strict policies like no cell phones one reason for being it will put a square imprint in your jeans.

I was running on little sleep and not expecting such a serious meeting, but got somewhat culty vibes which i saw someone else corroborate in a glassdoor review. The cultiest thing is probably a certain way employees say "yeah!" in a lilting tone the way you might talk to a child which i initially thought was just one person's personality but then heard other employees say in the same manner after explaining something to me.

I found later that they throw all their food out at the end of the day because they don't trust their employees not to purposefully cook too much food to take home extra. It was hard to watch a manager throw away a perfectly good meal after a customer said it wasn't what they ordered despite the customer making the obvious mistake in communication.

Despite all this the two managers seemed very nice and eager to hire me. They looked at me with the widest eyes and giddiest smiles at the end of what felt like my first business meeting and said they thought i would be a great addition to their team despite never having worked in a restaurant and based off of one trial shift.

My first several days went well. I got along with everyone. People were literally saying "you killed it" after shifts and saying under their breath "says he's never worked in a restaurant before", waving at me when they saw me and asking me about my summer and that they hope to see me around here again soon.

I then came in a few days tired (i have insomnia) and didn't work as hard and it was like i had killed a baby. Coworkers would fake tying their shoes to avoid saying hi to me, pause before responding when i asked how they were, nod and say with contempt "pretty good", or just not even look at me or acknowledge my existence at all.

One specific lower-level manager started ordering me to do more things than everyone else combined often the second i got done with another task for the greater part of a 7 hour shift and lecture me over and over about "always think about the next thing [to do]" and I swear skimped me on the meat on a free shift meal.

Another manager who initially hired me and hadn't been there since my first day when we seemed to get along well and bonded over music taste had apparently heard about me and after short small talk about his vacation asked me what i had been up to and started walking away and ended the convo curtly and left without saying bye to me

I was surprised and couldn't figure out what I had done, like maybe some terrible faux pas. But there were still a few coworkers i knew from the start who were perfectly nice to me, even seemed to like me.

A third day I came in hungover as well as on little sleep. Not very professional i know, but for a barely livable 15$ an hour service job at a place where they've been purposefully disrespecting me i could care less. An upper level manager who is probably the nicest there sat me down to talk and in so many words said that i just hadn't been working hard enough.

its perfectly legitimate to expect a general level of productivity from a worker, but to passive aggressively disrespect them and target them in response is toxic am i right? If all the restaurants in the world shut down forever life would go on, jobs like these just don't matter that much and that people have to do this to survive is absurd. They literally have on their handout to employees that you're supposed to have a "sense of urgency". Shifts are generally 5-7 hours with no breaks and your expected to "always be looking for the next thing" to do and never not working on something. meanwhile my brother in software development makes easily 3 times as much as me and works 2-3 hours a day. No wonder I've been trying to do everything i could to avoid getting a job for the past several years.

usa jobs
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official

First Restaurant Job initially positive but went downhill First Restaurant Job initially positive but went downhill Reviewed by Louhi on juillet 25, 2021 Rating: 5

Aucun commentaire:

Fourni par Blogger.