Need career change at 41...and completely confused/frustrated about what to do!

TL;DR - Contemplating a major career change at 41 and need help. I'm very frustrated and totally confused about the best approach because I have no idea what I want to do.

First (and foremost), I hope everyone out there is healthy, happy, and sheltering-in-place. Second, I'm going to be very open and detailed (apologies for the length) about my situation to hopefully engender the best feedback.

I (41M) have worked in the entertainment industry my entire professional life. I was at a small talent agency for 11 years, earning promotions to full talent agent before hitting a ceiling. Not wanting to continue the cutthroat "agent life", I'd concurrently gone back to school. I earned a certificate from UCLA's Paralegal Training Program to focus on legal roles within entertainment. That seemed a better path at the time, but since 2015 I've been at 4 companies as a paralegal, analyst, and contract specialist. I'm not earning promotions, and have felt overworked and underpaid (aren't we all?), but mostly just unhappy/unfulfilled. The past couple years especially have shown I might need a major change.

In my most recent job I received an unexpectedly bad first review after 10 months. They were putting me on a 30-day PIP with further employment conditioned upon meeting subjective standards. My manager was unhappy with basically every aspect of my performance. I was no longer comfortable or confident working there and felt I had to resign. By doing so I could at least control my own narrative versus being terminated. I also realized the 55-65 hour weeks for a job I disliked and for what in L.A. was a barely adequate salary ($72k and exempt) was really affecting my mental health. During those 10 months I hadn't taken a single vacation day and rarely took a lunch. I was burned out and needed a break. My plan was to freelance while I fleshed out a long-term plan. Naturally the pandemic hit and jobs rapidly disappeared. I may need to move back in with my parents for a bit to save money while I figure things out. A huge gut punch and ego bruise at my age, but I'm grateful for them and the safety net.

I've been searching far and wide for new jobs that look interesting, taking career assessment tests, and trying to figure this out. The legal field probably isn't right for me anymore, but I don't know what to do. As in, I have NO idea. Is a career coach worthwhile? My other passions in life are wine, animals, and the environment. Jobs that pay well in those fields are highly specialized and may not be realistic to embark upon at my age. Also, most seem to be in locations too far from my roots in Southern California. I'm always open to more education, but everything I look at seems pointless if I don't really know what I want to do.

I would greatly appreciate any insight, advice, recommendations, or shared experiences. Finding the best way forward just isn't coming to me right now. One thing I've tried to work on is knowing it's okay to ask for help when I need it. This is one of those times, so thank you all in advance!

usa jobs
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official

Need career change at 41...and completely confused/frustrated about what to do! Need career change at 41...and completely confused/frustrated about what to do! Reviewed by Louhi on avril 03, 2020 Rating: 5

Aucun commentaire:

Fourni par Blogger.