Made a dumb mistake and quit my job 2 months ago, have been unemployed since then. Where do I go from here?
Sorry if this is going to be a long post... but here’s a little bit about me.
I went to a vocational program while I was in high school (carpentry) with a goal to start my own remodeling company in a couple years. So after I graduated I started looking for some construction jobs to gain some experience.
I finally found one working for a roofing company. No that I can use hindsight to think about it, it really wasn’t a bad first job. My boss was a good guy, and the pay was good for just starting out. After a couple months I started looking for something else tho. Some of the guys on the crew were a little rough, and we had some issues. I had almost an hour drive to my bosses house, which I was annoyed about bc we started at 6. And finally I wanted to have a job where I could learn more skills besides just roofing.
So one of my friends messaged me saying that his boss is looking for another guy, and it would would be a really good experience for me. So I quit my job at the roofing company and joined his general contracting company. I took a $2 per hour pay cut, but he told me I’d be getting paid under the table, so it would all work out bc I wouldn’t have to pay taxes.
However, the job was pretty awful, and it was not a good experience for me at all. I would work about 50 hours a week, but my pay was always short. The boss was an extremely impatient person, and a terrible teacher. There’s a lot of bad stories I have, but I really don’t feel like getting worked up over them now, it’s all in the past. I worked there for 5 months before I started getting too burnt out and couldn’t take any more of it. He also lied about my pay being under the table. Apparently I was a 1099 employee, but I had no idea so I didn’t set anything aside for taxes, so I got screwed there. Had to borrow almost a grand from my family.
Now around January, I started having people call me about doing some jobs for them. Nothing major, a couple cabinet builds, painting jobs, things like that. Nothing crazy, but I did the math and between them I’d make what I made working for my company in 1 month. And a friend offered me a job with his roofing company starting in March. So I thought I had a great plan, Id quit my job, do my side jobs in February (and use some down time to recover from my last job), then start working full time again in March. I also thought at 19, being single, and living at home it would be ok if I took a little time off like that.
I thought I had it all worked out, but it all backfired on me. All of the side jobs I had cancelled, then when I called my friend in March he said he’s not hiring at the moment. So yeah, that really sucked. I’ve been living off of my savings, and they’re starting to run out. I’ve been paying all my bills (besides rent), but my parents are done, and said I really need to pay rent again.
So now I’m stuck. I had a job offer for a different company, but they required me to have workers comp (which would cost me 20k as a 19 year old), so that’s out. I can get general liability insurance for about $50 a month, so should I work on starting my company now? That’s the only idea I have right now, then I can do some sub contracting work for people here and there
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official
Aucun commentaire: