Lurker here! I currently work in the Midwest at a college as a support staff, I make under $30k a year and my partner and I want to move to Chicago to start a new life. I graduated with a bachelor's of social work in 2018 and I'm transitioning into financial services.
I used /u/SheetsGiggles's guide as a resume template, and some advice from others here saying to highlight my relevant experience at the top of the resume as an easily digestible summary. Here is a copy of my resume with some redactions.
What I've learned as somebody transitioning from an unrelated field to a new one:
-
Troll LinkedIn, Glassdoor and ZipRecruiter every day for new positions. LinkedIn especially. Also, brush up your LinkedIn and take a professional LinkedIn photo at JCPenneys for $30 from GroupOn, it really helps.
-
Keep track of every job application in a Google Sheets/Excel document, along with last dates of contact. Call back or email 2 weeks later to inquire on candidate selection process if you are still interested.
-
Try to do definable things that are explicitly related to the field you are trying to get into, and things that are a little harder to do that show your commitment to the field. You can put these up top. An example may be that you volunteer to teach classes at X doing Y.
-
Change your location on your resume to "Relocating to X location on Y date." I started getting more positive responses when I did this. On job applications where you have to annoyingly put all your information into the job application again, I used 'To Be Determined' for street address, and a city that is near to the job location.
-
Write a good cover letter! I sent a cover letter with every job application. I used a template that I modified based on the job type. I applied to two different types of jobs: financial services jobs (mainly client support positions on advisor teams) and financial aid jobs. I had cover letters for both types. I also addressed possible barriers including why I wanted to relocate to Chicagoland and that I would be willing to pay for my relocation. I sent both my resume and cover letter in PDF to keep the formatting.
-
When you get interviews, do your research to show that you are interested in the company and use the STAR method. This one is a classic recommendation but I found it helped.
-
Do an in-person interview if you can swing it. This position I have just accepted I drove 7 hours one way after work, stayed at a hotel for a night, drove to the interview at 9am, went to a second interview at another opportunity (I called them after I got an in person interview scheduled asking for one since I would be in town that day), and then drove back 7 hours. The people I interviewed with seemed impressed that I was that committed. I let it be known that I drove to the interview from where I live casually as we were exchanging pleasantries while walking to the interview.
It took only two months of searching and 25 job applications this time because I was more methodical in my applications than I was last time thanks to this subreddit. It's also a 53% nominal pay raise, 26% considering cost of living, and it's in my chosen field!
AMA
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official
Aucun commentaire: