Transferrable Skills After Teaching

If you are in America, you have probably heard one or a hundred news reports lately regarding how out of control our schools are. I am here to tell you that things are probably worse that most of what you have heard.

I have worked in education for most of my adult life(I am 34), in post-secondary supporting roles, then as a primary classroom assistant in SPED, then I went on to get my Master's in Teaching. For since 2015, I have been working as a secondary school English teacher. I was hired before I even finished my MAT program to work in a rural, Title I school. (I did graduate, and hold my Master's degree)

Nothing could have prepared me for what I was getting myself in to. In hindsight, I should have tried to learn more about the school, and why they were hiring midyear, anyhow. What I got was a classroom of 6th graders who were not SPED, yet acted in ways I had never seen children act. I had kids who would hide in the cupboards, in my bookshelves, leave class without permission, scream profanities in my face, pull up pornography on the iPads, etc. I made it my mission to see these 6th graders through to their promotion in to high school, and boy did I. I became the only ELA teacher for 7-8th grade in the school district.

Last year my 6th graders promoted (they luckily made it to 8th grade! Only one pregnancy!) and we shared tears and stories about how far they had come, but it was not a Freedom Writers moment or anything. Things were still terrible, but there was definite growth in regards to behavior. AND, many kids told me that our novel study was the FIRST BOOK THEY HAD EVER READ COVER TO COVER.

Over the years my self confidence was torn down slowly. I was still the teacher who came to school with a smile, and was always willing to help in any way I could. The district I worked for had one solution to our major behavior struggles, "enforce the rules better." I had coworkers who were screaming at, and belittling kids, crying at their desks, and taking it out on one another. I can't even articulate how dysfunctional this place really was. This year, I became suicidal. I took FMLA to try to reset myself, but as soon as I returned I was back in the dark place. Things were going better in my classroom, but only because I worked every second I was outside of work to ensure execution of lessons was smooth, clear, and prefect .

I am not an emotional person, and I found myself crying on the way to school, on the way home from school, then smoking myself stupid every night to manage the stress of my job. I really loved my students, and they loved me, but I had to leave for my own sanity.

Here I am a month later. I have been denied unemployment (it is in appeals) due to the fact that I had a FMLA fit for duty that said I required accommodations upon return. This letter was specifically for returning to that specific school, but the Employment department said that I was unfit to work full hours due to the wording of the letter, which is crazy because I am more anxious not having a job, or my unemployment and trying to keep my family afloat. I had my doctor draft a new letter, which will hopefully clear it it.

But the other issue I am having is that I feel like I spent so much time at my previous employer putting out fires, as opposed to further my workplace skills. I am well articulated, hold a high level of education, and can do pretty much any sort of planning, managing, coordinating office type job, but I can't even get an interview to save my life. I have improved and improved my resume, and work with the employment department and my college career center to give my documents a once, or twice over. I adjust my resume and cover letter for each position to match what they are looking for. Nothing I seem to do is fruitful.

I feel like I am going stir crazy, and just want to work. I can't take a low-skill wage job, because it will amount to less than my unemployment insurance benefit when the appeal hopefully goes through, and will take away the entire beenfit. I am/was the primary wage earner in a household with a disabled husband, and two teenagers. I feel so worthless in my job search.

Here is my LinkedIn, https://www.linkedin.com/in/megan-ujakovich-gometz-38060450/ maybe someone can offer me some tips? Maybe help me see some transferable skills I can use to my advantage? I am just so down and out.

usa jobs
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official

Transferrable Skills After Teaching Transferrable Skills After Teaching Reviewed by Louhi on février 19, 2019 Rating: 5

Aucun commentaire:

Fourni par Blogger.