Put 2 weeks into my toxic job, now my boss is promising change and a raise...torn on what to do.

I have been at my current place of employment for 5 years as a store manager for a swimming pool company. The main issue of my job has always been my boss and how he treats people. 2 years ago I got fed up with it and demanded change from him as he was essentially treating me as his personal assistant and texting me for help at all hours of the day when I wasn't getting paid to do so. After that chat, he gave me a $2 raise and hired several new employees to relieve the extra work from my plate. I felt confident that things were going to be better.

This past fall I began to dislike my job yet again. There were no warehouse employees left and my boss made all of their work fall on me on top of my own job duties. I was expected to empty extremely heavy bags of garbage that I couldn't even lift, sweep driveways, be responsible for cleaning bathrooms, organize boxes that were hundreds of pounds, etc. Basically all the shit work and I wasn't being compensated any extra for it or shown any gratitude for my extra help. I have also been working here longer than anybody in the office and nobody in the office had to chip in and help. He even made me dust and clean the office as if I was the company custodian...not to mention we have a cleaning company come twice a week. Then my longest full time store employee was forced to work on her day off, her car got hit by a drunk employee, and instead of trying to make things right for her he wrote her up for parking where she did and she quit. This just is an example as to how he is always trying to cover himself rather than looking out for his employees.

I decided that I would job search once March comes around as I was planning to stick in the pool industry and that's when they usually hire. My boss decided to renovate the store. Since I had no desire to train all new store employees or put the new store back together, I decided to start looking for jobs at the end of January. I got a very promising opportunity for an insurance company where I have a connection, but the job will not be posted until March. I decided I would try to wait it out at my job until then while continuing to apply to other jobs in the meantime.

My boss kept giving me task after task to complete, and then instead of allowing me to complete anything, he sent me day after day to help me set up a new store he's opening. I asked if we could purchase a microwave for the new store as I like to heat up leftovers for lunch and his response was "Are you fucking kidding me?" I found that to be very uncalled for. Then after that he kept talking shit about me and the microwave. Previously I had done a calendar project where I had to assign tasks for coworkers and mark it on a physical calendar and outlook, apparently nobody was paying attention to their tasks and my boss said about me "she's more concerned with the microwave than the calendar". I didn't realize I had to babysit everybody to do their jobs either. Then later that week, he had me dig out some brochures for him to use that we never usually use. I didn't put a sticker with our company logo on it so he said "no sticker...but she wants a microwave". At this point I just lost my shit and started bawling and put my 2 weeks in.

My boss spoke with me and was honestly pretty insulting, saying that I was being compensated plenty for my work even though I hadn't received a raise since the 2 years earlier when I got fed up, he said the store will be fine without me, that nowhere else will I find a boss as understanding as him and that the reason I have to do all the cleaning is because he "doesn't understand the millennial mindset". Just a bunch of bullshit things defending himself. He thought I was bluffing about quitting but after I felt so relieved, like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. Everybody was so proud of me and I was proud of myself.

Now, a couple days ago, he finally realized how serious I was and offered me a $2 raise, a $2,000 Christmas bonus, 2 weeks paid vacation (I never had any vacation days previously), and bonuses for store revenue and hot tub revenue. He promised things will change and to give him another chance.

Meanwhile, I do not have a job lined up yet. But I have the promising insurance opportunity, and I am in the interview process with 2 other insurance companies as well. The pay for these companies is what I had been making at this job before this raise offer, with better benefits and room for growth, but a longer commute. I'm worried I'll fail at insurance because I don't know anything about it yet. So the safe option would be to stay with my current job and take the extra money and stick to what I know. But I just feel like my boss doesn't compensate me for hard work, he only does to bribe me. And I feel that I wouldn't get another raise until I raise hell again like this. I also don't think he will ever change, I feel it would be temporary again. I'm just worried that I'll make the wrong decision and would love to hear somebody else's opinion from an outside source. It's hard to turn down the opportunity for better money but I also would like to believe my happiness is worth more.

I realize this was quite the essay of typing, I summarized it as best as I could so if anybody took the time to read this entirely then thank you so much!!!

TLDR: My boss is trying to convince me to stay with more money but I fear that I will never be happy there. I don't have a new job lined up, just promising opportunities in a new industry. It's a scary risk, not sure if I should take the safe option and the money or if I should risk it at a chance for a happier work life.

usa jobs
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official

Put 2 weeks into my toxic job, now my boss is promising change and a raise...torn on what to do. Put 2 weeks into my toxic job, now my boss is promising change and a raise...torn on what to do. Reviewed by Louhi on février 16, 2019 Rating: 5

Aucun commentaire:

Fourni par Blogger.