Leaving a toxic workplace before my two weeks are up?

Sorry for the length, I'm a little unnerved so typing this out was cathartic. Tl;dr I gave my notice at a toxic workplace and am partway through my two weeks. Got screamed at, had an anxiety attack, wondering what the long-term damage would be if I ended things before my two weeks, knowing that I won't get a good recommendation from them either way...

I've been working at my job for a little over six months. It hasn't been a great experience, and when we started ramping up to go back into the office I started looking at other opportunities. I got an offer that I'm super excited about and put in my two weeks' notice last week.

It's a very rough time to be leaving, which I feel bad about. We're short staffed and have really struggled to hire new people. I'm currently covering for a vacant position, so doing two jobs, and the work load has been intense. But, I told them very early (about two months ago) that I was going to start looking for other things as we started ramping up to return to the office. They've had a posting for my position (and the position I'm covering for) up for quite a while, at least six weeks, but just have struggled to fill it.

This week I've been working on getting my coworkers up to speed on everything they're going to be taking over. It's been a lot of coaching and I am, admittedly, falling behind on some things just because I've added teaching on to what was already far beyond a full-time job. I was at a coworker's desk today walking him through how to use some of our software and missed a call from my boss. When I called back, she screamed at me at length for not caring about/neglecting my job because I'm leaving. By the time I got off the phone I was in tears and having a full-fledged anxiety attack, so I told our HR manager I was stepping away for the day and went home. My boss has been blowing up my phone ever since.

I sympathize with their predicament, I know it's not great timing but I feel like I've done my duty by being really honest with them about the fact that I'm leaving, and frankly I don't feel like I should have to tolerate being screamed at in a professional setting. I'm debating whether I should keep going with the rest of my two weeks or go in tomorrow, wrap things up, and hand over my key card and call it a day just for the sake of my own happiness. To be honest, I know I would never get a good recommendation from them either way just purely because they feel like I'm leaving them in the lurch (she pretty much told me as much when she was screaming at me). Also, the last time I gave two weeks' notice at a job I was told, "two weeks is the bare minimum, you're really screwing us over," and definitely didn't feel like working out my two weeks created any kind of good feelings at all between my boss and I, it felt like they were upset just that I would leave regardless (although we had had a great relationship up until that point and I would never have considered leaving with less than two weeks' notice. That was a very different job than the one I'm currently in).

How should I handle this? I know the right thing to do is to stay and finish the job, but if I know that the environment is toxic and upsetting and has been for months, do I owe it to them to subject myself to that? At what point does setting boundaries become unprofessional or being an ass to my team? I do care about a lot of the people I work with and want to be considerate of them, but I don't want to run myself into the ground while I'm doing it.

usa jobs
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official

Leaving a toxic workplace before my two weeks are up? Leaving a toxic workplace before my two weeks are up? Reviewed by Louhi on juillet 07, 2021 Rating: 5

Aucun commentaire:

Fourni par Blogger.