How can I comfort my friend who has struggled a lot

Hi everyone.

My friend has been job searching since we both graduated in May 2020. It's been really rough for her. We are in the same field so I've tried to help her out quite a bit. I did my best to give her advice on tailoring her resume, having multiple resumes, pointed her to workshops/seminars provided for free by our uni for job hunting, prompted her to talk to recruiters, etc. I do believe that she worked hard to find a job but that mainly was just sending her resume out. She said she was uncomfortable following up on applications/being persistent, and when a recruiter i gave her info to called she didn't answer because she didn't want to answer unknown numbers. She wasn't able to get ahold of him again...

I've tried to console her as best I can. I've told her that it's mostly the pandemic and we graduated at the worst time. I've tried to tell her that this isn't the only time in her life and she will come out of this, but she's just been super depressed. I feel bad because I was able to get a mid level job for a good amount of money. It was partly timing and luck, partly because I have 3 years of experience in our field from working my ass off on top of being a full time student in college. She didn't do any internships/volunteer work in our field during that time (yes I did encourage her back then too).

I'm at my wits end. She got a job a few weeks ago and had a mental breakdown the first day because she feels like she's totally over qualified (true) and she's not making enough, and she's worried she'll be "poor forever" (her words...). I tried to tell her everyone has to start somewhere, I've been an intern the past year making shit money. She pointed out my new job and how clearly I started much higher above her. I kind of snapped and said I worked extremely hard in college (at least 2 jobs throughout the whole time) and it's a different situation because of that. I was hyper focused on making myself a successful candidate for the past 4 years so that's the only reason why. I tried to frame it like I just had the ability to work super hard and kept taking many opportunities that were presented to me. Obviously this still came off wrong, I apologized but I just dont know what to say anymore.

Those of you struggling, what would help to hear from friends/support systems? I dont want to snap on her again but from my point of view she will have to start at entry level which is normal for most people. But she doesn't seem to want to hear that, and only applies to jobs that are 80k a year or more which has contributed to her bad luck...

usa jobs
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official

How can I comfort my friend who has struggled a lot How can I comfort my friend who has struggled a lot Reviewed by Louhi on avril 26, 2021 Rating: 5

Aucun commentaire:

Fourni par Blogger.