Was offered to transfer to a new role within company, but management vague / unwilling to provide specifics amongst other concerns. Need advice how I should move forward. I dont have a good feeling about it.

So I have been with the same company for around 8 years. I have loved most of it until fairly recently. I have held various positions in the company. Its a large company and is hiring constantly all over the place in terms or organizations and job titles. Me as well as a couple others were asked to join a pilot because we were the only ones that had experience in this field. They wanted to expand it and it made more sense for our little department to join them, since it was more directly related and create a new organization. We had the option of staying where we were, but would do something slightly different or to come join them and do what we were already doing. They basically promised the moon and that we would basically move up in ranks as a formality since we were the originals and already had the experience.

Well since then they have hired people outside the organization to positions above us and we are not even being considered. I know much more than my current new supervisor and people getting hired above me. Now there is a certain requirement / training that current employees of the org need to go to a different role within that organization to have any chance of moving up even though the people getting hired above us had none of that and are getting trained when they get hired. I have actually gotten the training already, but it was months ago and they have not offered me to move until recently, which is a lateral move. Honestly, the other position is not thought very highly of. The work / life balance is terrible when you first start (and this is with a fresh start) and I haven't heard too many positives other than its the only way to move up. It just basically seems like a way to entice you to transfer to a worse job in hopes of one day getting promoted. This doesn't really make since because the higher tiers of my currently job don't utilizes this training whatsoever and its mostly just related because it deals with the same subject matter.

The organization has grown rapidly more so because of workload than anything else, which will eventually / naturally stop with opportunities becoming more stagnant. Since I have been in my current position before this started I have naturally gotten a backlog of work, which I had before this change even happened. Its basically something that happens to everyone naturally in this position. People that get hired immediately, start with my department and asked to go to the other right away. So they never get the opportunity to work long enough to get a backlog. So I asked what would happen to my backlog and originally I was told by the head of my department that I would need to keep the backlog and also learn the new role at the same time, which is not appealing at all since honestly my current position has terrible work / life balance as well but at least I know how to do it. On top of that I'm salary, so all the extra hours I work now I don't get anything for it. Basically working OT to only be behind and not very behind. This is not a reflection on my performance, everyone is experiencing this now unless you are a new hire and haven't had a chance to accumulate a backlog. Basically they added a bunch of more steps to the process for the same result making a piece of work 3-5 times longer. It used to be a normal 40 hour week or so and you would be caught up.

Anyway, I had until the end of the day to give them an answer, which I said no because I have a ton of inventory from my would to be old position as well as learn a new role with a potential of no smooth transition. When I turned it down, the manager backtracked a bit and offered to give me no new pieces of work for just before we started to help get the inventory down, which made me consider it, but unsure how much that would actually help. I also wanted to know what the onboard process was. At this point I could tell he was annoyed that I was asking questions, which I think was a very reasonable and standard question to ask. He said he couldn't promise me what the onboarding experience would be like and that it would be "trial by fire", which to me seems they are going to throw me to the wolves and I would be at a great disadvantage because I would still have to work on work from my prior role. Did not / would not give me a straight answer on anything related to onboarding. Like if I would just get a full load of work right away and basically get told to figure it out (which by tone of the conversation seems likely) or if I would have a mentor or if there was any sort of training on processes. The training I was referencing before was just a certain software and nothing else, which is a small part of the job.

My main concern is that everything in my body is telling me to reject the offer because I feel like I'm going to be set up to fail and at best hate my life because I am working so much for just a chance to move up potentially years from now. The lack of transparency is just screaming to me that its going to be a really bad time and that's why they will not give me straight answers. Otherwise, if they truly did not know then I would consider that to be incompetent in their role for not being prepared for this first. At the same time, I also know that its the end of my career in that department if I say no. I would be likely looked down upon and potentially open up negative things in my current job start to sprout up. Like reviewed more harshly, get added responsibilities with no added pay or affect my yearly reviews negating a yearly raise.

So I guess the real question is, do I take the risk of moving over with the high likelihood that I'm going to be severely overworked and stressed out or should I reject it and start looking for other position either within the company or outside of it. The chance of actually getting a promotion would likely take 2 or 3 years and the promotion is around a 5-10% raise. If I reject it I feel like I would need to be out by the end of the year to give them no opportunity to give me a bad review, which would make it impossible to move within the company for an entire year. I know a lot of what I've said raises a lot of red flags as to why I would like to stay with the company, but it is generally deemed as one of the best work places and up until recently I would 100% agree with that. I would honestly rather move to a different department than work for another company if that is the route I chose.

TLDR: Offered to move to another role that is not very highly thought of by current reps I have spoken to in the past that are doing the job in order to potentially move up and its the only option to even be considered in a promotion. Management vague on workload / training and wants me to continue working my current workload until its gone, which can take at least a year, while trying to learn a new role (likely with little training or help and not easing into it based on tone). The chance of higher stress and longer hours seem high. Rejecting the offer will likely be the end of my career in terms of moving up in that department. Do I reject and start looking elsewhere or do I go for it with a lot of unknowns. I believe, even though they said it wouldn't matter if I rejected it, that it would be looked at very negatively.

usa jobs
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official

Was offered to transfer to a new role within company, but management vague / unwilling to provide specifics amongst other concerns. Need advice how I should move forward. I dont have a good feeling about it. Was offered to transfer to a new role within company, but management vague / unwilling to provide specifics amongst other concerns. Need advice how I should move forward. I dont have a good feeling about it. Reviewed by Louhi on janvier 28, 2021 Rating: 5

Aucun commentaire:

Fourni par Blogger.