Is it normal for jobs to ask for managerial references?

TLDR; Is it weird to be asked for managerial references (not just verification or references from former coworkers)? Does everybody else keep in touch with their old bosses?


Getting back on the job market after a looooonnnnggg, long time at a single company. Left on good terms. Had 7 or so different bosses over the years I was there and got along great with 6/7 of them as well as many team leads and managers on other teams. I'm 99.9999% sure I've never had any HR incidents whatsoever. But I'm kind of a loner. I was never really close with any of my managers and never kept in touch after they left/I changed groups/I left.


Fast forward to present day, me getting back on the job market. Most recruiters don't even ask me for references. Some ask for personal references and I've had a few ask for business references (former coworkers). Have all those, no issue.


But I got some recruiters/companies asking me for managerial references, which seems very strange to me. Just to be clear: I have offered HR and employment verification numbers but they are specifically asking to speak to some former managers of mine. I remember most of their names. Some of them might even be fine with it. But since I never kept in touch with my old managers, God, I feel it would be incredibly awkward to reach out to them now and broach the subject of asking them to be a reference.

  • Just wondering is this a common practice or is it just me that finds it so weird?
  • Am I being a unreasonable about reaching out to old managers for their blessing as a reference or do I have a legit concern?
  • If so, would it be reasonable to just pass by any companies that won't budge on this?

State: GA

Field: Tech

usa jobs
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official

Is it normal for jobs to ask for managerial references? Is it normal for jobs to ask for managerial references? Reviewed by Louhi on décembre 16, 2019 Rating: 5

Aucun commentaire:

Fourni par Blogger.