I recently (~3 months ago) began a position at a great company (Company A) after finishing up my doctorate. I worked here previously as an intern before graduate school, and have a great relationship with everyone here all the way up to the CEO, who was my original boss.
Prior to starting, I had been in discussion with a small startup company (Company B), who turned out to have a lot of overlap with my dissertation work. For additional context: Although Company A and B are in the same field, they are not remotely competitors - the technology and application are worlds apart.
Company B contacted me again recently congratulating me on my job, and asked if I would consider consulting for them a few hours every few weeks. I would do it on my own time, outside of any working hours for my current job. Again, what they want to do is almost identical to much of what I spent 5 years perfecting for my dissertation work, and it would be extremely valuable to them to get some first hand insight into some of what they are trying to branch into. It's something I'm passionate about as well and would love to have my dissertation work be applied somewhere (I love what I do at my current company but it has pretty much zilch to do with my direct graduate research).
I would like to approach my current company to see if they would be alright with it or not. My main concern is that this is clearly an awkward situation to put myself in, so I primarily wanted to ask:
1.) Is it even worth risking any relationship problems with my current company to ask this? Is it just in my head that this is a bad idea, or do other people agree that it could be or have experience that it is or is not?
2.) Assuming it is worthwhile to bring up to my current employer, does anyone have suggestion for tactful ways to bring this up or suggestions for discussing it?
(For final context, I already have looked over my employment contract with a lawyer, who advised that it does not prevent me from other employment at that is a largely unenforceable clause in our state anyways).
TL;DR: Recently started at new company, other company wants me to consult on the side...bad idea?
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official
Aucun commentaire: