I just started a new job. The pay and title are better than at my old job, but despite my attempts to ask pointed questions during the interview process to get a sense for the culture, hours, and pace of the new job, I've ended up with buyers' remorse. I currently report "equally" to two people, one of whom is a workaholic who snaps at people and can be rude and scolding (I'll call her Susan), and the other of whom (I'll call her Jane) is much more easygoing.
Jane is accessible during regular work hours, and I can ask questions of her, give her updates on my work, and coordinate with her on bigger projects. Frankly, Jane's work style and her workload are closer to what I expected from the job when I interviewed. Susan, on the other hand, routinely puts in twelve-hour days or longer, but she spends them at meetings with clients and C-level executives; she's notoriously inaccessible. When she actually is in the office, she seems to have time for everyone but me. She'll send me 40+ emails at 1:00 a.m. (I don't know when she sleeps!) with assignments for the following day, and sometimes those emails, plus about thirty minutes of in-person time, are as much as I interact with her all day. Her clients flood my inbox and ring my phone all day, and I do my best to respond within a reasonable time frame, but I frequently don't know what I'm doing -- I'm just too new. Susan has made it clear that she expects me to fully take care of this kind of "low level" stuff that she "doesn't have time for," but I need guidance on how to handle often complicated client requests, and I'm not getting it. The other people in the office to whom she pointed me for help are either too busy themselves to assist me, or don't know how to handle these issues any more than I do. I'm already falling hopelessly behind after only a few weeks on the job, and have been among the last to leave the office almost every day, a situation I'd hoped VERY much to avoid.
During my daily thirty minutes with Susan, she'll hit me with a barrage of seemingly 10,000 verbal instructions, faster than I can even write them down, and of course I forget things. She has already chewed me out in front of coworkers for dropping the ball on something that she mentioned once and then just completely slipped my mind. Susan is giving me fully 80% of my workload, and the stuff that Jane wants me to do could fill its own 40-hour week. I'm only just coming up on week seven, and I've already cried in the bathroom three or four times.
I'm dreading the idea of working myself into the ground for the next 10+ months in this stressful environment, but I don't want to be perceived as a job-hopper who leaves after less than a year. On the other hand, I'm afraid I won't even make it to the one-year mark if I can't meet Susan's unrealistic expectations. Ideally, I'd like to work for only Jane, but if that's not possible, I need more guidance, more help managing Susan's relentless pace, and more understanding about the fact that it's just not reasonable for me to remember everything being thrown at me, and I'm going to forget things; I'm only human. However, Susan seems to be the type of workaholic who wants everyone to know how hard she works and how stressed she is, and I can't envision a conversation with her about feeling overwhelmed in which she even considers it an actual problem for her to solve, though it very much is.
Has anyone else been in a similar situation and come through it okay? Any suggestions for how I should approach this with Susan and/or HR, or what I can even say? (Susan's own boss is C-level and not an option.) Any strategies I should employ for getting through the day and trying to remember everything? I try to make spreadsheets and lists of pending tasks and requests, including their deadlines, but the time I spend on those things just seems to make the day longer and longer, and it often feels like I don't even have time to look at them while the phone's ringing off the hook.
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official
Aucun commentaire: