Is this fair? Did I make the right choice?

Hi guys. I'm 22 and I have a typical typical "9-5" corporate job at a small (<10 employee) company that does online content.

It's Easter weekend coming up where I live, which means Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon are public holidays. Wednesday is also another public holiday separate from Easter. Since the job is nothing high priority like a public service or a job with shifts etc. we all usually take public holidays off as expected.

Now within our company and especially within my role, Thursdays and Fridays are high priority days due to the industry we're in, and working on those days means better productivity and more profit for the company. Of course that means it's not optimal for employees to be absent on those days.

So again tomorrow (Friday) is a public holiday. I talked with a coworker of mine was told that everyone will still be coming into the office to work (one of our coworkers is taking leave, so I assume this doesn't include him, since he wasn't in today even though it's Thursday and an equally high priority day). To make up for this we can take another day off (most of us it seems are taking Tuesday off since it falls between Easter Monday and the other holiday on Wednesday).

I then talked to my boss to confirm which days we're supposed to be off, he confirmed that Fri-Mon are the public holidays (I wasn't sure) but he said that it's "better to change Friday to Tuesday". I agreed and told my boss that that's what I'll do. I made this decision based on the fact that I do consider the interests of the company, and I also want to be a "good" employee, and I also didn't want to stand out and not come to work when others are going to be working tomorrow. I feel that would make me look bad compared to the others.

Now, realistically, that doesn't have a huge impact on my life outside of work. I don't have a family of my own, so if I had the day off tomorrow I would've likely spent it hanging out with my little brother and dad, since they're off school and work. But because of this I'm left feeling as though I sacrificed time with my family to work. Now my brother is off school on Tuesday too so I can just move my plans with him to that day, but my dad isn't off on Tuesday, although I can just go see him at work when he's not busy.

So at the end of it all the trade off has been:

Negatives:

- I'll have a bit of a smaller opportunity to hang out with my dad, but it's not a huge problem because we still have 4 mutual days off in the coming days

- I'll have to move my plans with my brother

- I was looking forward to taking the day off tomorrow before I realized I'd probably be asked to come into work, because I've been tired and wanted to rest. I'll have to tough it out for one more day

Positives:

- I'm gonna get work done that's important to the company

- I'm looking out for the company and being a "good" employee, even though realistically I had every right to and could've chosen to take the day off tomorrow

- I'm not standing out from the others who'll be coming in tomorrow and looking "bad"

My questions are:

Was it fair for my boss to ask me today to change my Friday for Tuesday, and did I make the right decision when I said yes?

Should I have asserted myself and taken the day off tomorrow instead? Considering that the current negatives aren't that big, would you say that this perhaps isn't something that would've been worth the potential negatives in the reverse situation, if I had decided to take the day off tomorrow? That it'd be a battle not worth fighting for?

And finally, at which point do things like these become unfair on me? Would it be unfair if I had big plans with family or friends tomorrow, for example, considering the request wasn't made in advance and only the night before when I asked my boss about it? Luckily I hadn't made big plans, but if I did, it would've sucked for me and the others involved in my plans for me to cancel today. Should my boss had talked to me about this earlier in the week instead of the night before when I brought it up myself?

Again, I don't think this is a big deal overall, but I'm simply looking for an outsider opinion on the situation as well as wondering how other companies and their employees go about such situations so I know what is fair and what is unfair.

P.S. Sorry for the long post, I wasn't sure how much detail I should include :D

usa jobs
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official

Is this fair? Did I make the right choice? Is this fair? Did I make the right choice? Reviewed by Louhi on avril 26, 2019 Rating: 5

Aucun commentaire:

Fourni par Blogger.