TL;DR: Freelance writer, looking for a part-time job that fulfills as many of the requirements listed in the bullet-points below as possible.
Hey there! First off, I hope this is the right place for this kind of post. I posted it once in r/findapath, but didn't get much outside of a few PM's. I figured I'd try here and see if I'd have better luck. If this is the wrong place or you know of a better subreddit, feel free to throw that at me.
I’m a freelance writer. I hope to become a published fiction writer, but that’s a ways-off, and I throw it here mostly for context. Recently, by client-base plummeted. This was half-intentional; I had to move back to my dingy hometown to deal with some things and needed some extra free time. I started getting back into it in April, and have been using the relaunch and free time to break into some potentially higher paying (and harder to access) fields that I enjoy more.
But, I’m also at a point in my career where, to advance further, I probably need to move to a bigger city for the network and story opportunities. Besides; I like cities. At the moment, I’m considering L.A., Denver, Boston (where I lived the last four years), and Brooklyn. I’m, of course, open to living in the outer regions of these cities, maybe 40-50 minutes from the fun stuff.
Here’s the issue: if I move to a new city, I’ll want to have a steady part time job to supplement my income when freelancing is slow or when I feel like having some extra cash. I would like the part time gig to give me ample time for paid and personal writing, while fulfilling a few other qualities, which you'll see below. I'll note that the job doesn't have to fit all of these criteria. That would be unlikely, at best. But, the more the better.
Now, time for some bullet-points:
- My freelance writing takes up maybe 15-20 hours of any given week, and currently provides me with about $1800 a month in take-home income. At the rate I’m going, the take-home should start to increase without any increase in the upper end of that hours-per-week range.
- For a part-time job, I would like something that fills anywhere from 20-30 hours per week, and nets me an additional $2000, or allows me to reduce other expenses to reach that same value (this could include benefits like taking care of medical insurance, student loans, or car insurance payments).
- I’m open to working overtime shifts to fill those hours or reach the pay I need to get. (say, doing two 10-hour days instead of four 5-hour days).
- I’m hoping to move in the next six months (yes, I know that’s a tall ask, you don’t need to tell me. I’ve done it before.) I’m open to taking classes or learning a new skill to get this job, so it’d be great if I could learn what I needed to (or make a dent in that learning) and/or get the job in that time-frame.
- I would love a job that allows me to help people. I already do some volunteer work.
- Employers and professional associates have advised me to point out an apparently rare skill I have. I am extremely calm, collected, and diplomatic in crisis situations (including medical and criminal emergencies), to the point where I’ve become the “go-to” guy in emergencies of all kinds. I’m not trying to brag; I’m just bringing it up as I’ve been advised.
- As a writer, I like jobs that are a little more interesting, or get me involved in interesting things, whether that’s unusual/extreme circumstances, travel, or artistic events.
- I’m very physically fit, though there is some damage to my lungs that sometimes worsens respiratory issues. I’m not about to die from walking around the block, but a case of bronchitis or inhaling toxic fumes will be worse for me than others.
- I have a car, a driver’s license, and lots of travel experience.
- I have a B.F.A. in “Writing, Literature, and Publishing” from a decently prestigious university, which sounds really cool when you’re talking about how unemployed you are.
- I’m aware that the job market ain’t great right now. So, if you know of something with an unusual amount of openings that fits these requirements, feel free to point that out.
- While this one's unlikely, bonus points go to any job that lets me do some networking in journalism, game writing, or fiction/fantasy writing communities. Or, if you know some communities for these in those target cities, feel free to suggest them.
I may add some more bullet-points later, or in response to other questions. I’m fully aware that the chances of finding any job that meets all of these criteria (or even half) are roughly the same as me stubbing my toe on a gold brick that’ll finance a new house. But, can’t hurt to try, right? For now, I’d like to hear about any job suggestions any of you might have, if you know of anything that could begin to fill these categories, especially if any are city specific. If you have any questions, let me know.
Thanks for the help!
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official
Aucun commentaire: