Can I reach out after an interview without seeming overeager?

TL:DR at the bottom

I apologize this may is a bit of a ramble, Im not sure how to organize my thought around all of it and its making me a bit anxious in general.

I recently had an interview for what would essentially be my dream job. or at least working at the institution of my dreams. Im a fabricator and I interviewed with a world class research facility. I have wanted to work supporting scientific research for most of my career and this place is literally #1 on the list of places I would want to work (they do noble prize wining work) and I do have R&D/prototyping and some limited (and rare) experience with the exact same types systems.

I feel the interview went quite well. the first part of the interview was with 6 guys, each in charge of a different workshop on the campus. It was normal interview stuff, they ran through their questions, we discussed my experience, etc. Then I “cheat” I brought in some examples of my work as a type portfolio/show and tell (not at all something thats done in my line of work, but I really want to stand out). Then they ask me to leave the room so they can talk among themselves so I anxiously hang out in the hallway for 5 mins. as they start to come out of the room one of the guys approached me and asked if I have time to go with him on a tour of his facility. I said yes, it was really amazing. being a total science dork I’m nearding out pretty hard the whole time (I was literally being taken on a private tour of a particle accelerator). he’s walking me around and he’s introducing me to people and we continue to talk about my work history and career goals etc. he tells me “Jim gets first pick of applicants for the main shop but I wanted to bring you through here and see if its something you would be interested in, so in case you can’t tell this is the 'real' interview” which Im interpreting this as — you easily passed the initial screening and I would like to offer you the job but we need to finish interviewing other applicants and I have to wait for my boss to make his decisions before I can move forward— he mentioned that a concern of the group would be my commute. I said its a concern of mine as well and definitely something I would have to figure to succeed in the job (I live a little over an hour away without traffic. that particular commute would be with some of the worst rush hour traffic in the area and it will be a just under 2 hours each way. I could take a commuter train and bus but it would still be about the same amount of time, I wouldn’t be driving). I have since determined that the only real workable solution would be to move much closer to the facility. I don’t own an house my lease is now month tho month and I know for me to succeed in the job I really need to minimize the commute. but I was a little too-kid in a candy store- distracted and excited and hadn’t done enough research to arrive at that conclusion at the time. the cost of gas to drive is equal to the cost of the train monthly pass, and thats roughly equal to the increased cost of rent in the area. essentially, regardless of what I do, my living expenses will go up $400-$500 USD a month to take the job.

So Im interested in the job. They seem interested in me, and I have a good feeling about being offered a position, but there are a couple of problems. first is the above mentioned commute. second is the position itself. the title and the description are relatively low level. not quite entry level low but relatively low. Im mid career basically. Im not that old but Im not that young either. Im a journey level tradesman (machinist/millwright). My concern is if extended the offer, it will be at a lower rate than I would want. there was not however a pay range on the job posting, just DoE. But Im also aware that this on one of the few places in the world that do the types of things they do so finding someone

With the increased living expenses I will need to be paid close to market rate for my skills to make it work. they absolutely employ people with job titles that more closely correlate to my skillset and accompanying pay rate. they mentioned in the interview “we’ll give you as much rope as you can pull” so its definitely somewhere I can work my way up ,and it is absolutely the kind of place I could spend the rest of my career.

Anyway I would like to email them and thank them for the time and opportunity to interview. I don’t know what the proper etiquette is for that. I interviewed last monday and I know they were conducting more interviews last week and maybe this week as well. I know better than to bring up pay before and offer, but should I bother mentioning my decision to move if offered the job? Since applying I have reached out to other people and and an updated list of references. I know the squeaky wheel gets the grease but I already afraid I might have seemed overeager with my “show and tell”, will contacting them annoy them?

I know this is a bit of a ramble but I hope Ive given enough context.

TL:DR

I interviewed for my dream job last monday. what is the normal etiquette for emailing them. do I email them at all? is it too soon or too late? if I email do I merely express my interest and thank them for the opportunity to interview? can I address a concern they expressed about my situation(commute)? do I mention an updated list of references? or do I just wait for them to contact me?

usa jobs
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official

Can I reach out after an interview without seeming overeager? Can I reach out after an interview without seeming overeager? Reviewed by Louhi on avril 29, 2019 Rating: 5

Aucun commentaire:

Fourni par Blogger.