Quick background on me: 23 years old, B.A. in Professional Writing (focus on technical writing, digital writing, business writing), based in Albany, NY area
When I first graduated college, I thought I wanted to be a technical writer. Interesting job, good money; I wanted a job like that so I could be comfortable enough to focus on some of my creative pursuits on the side. I love writing short stories, poems, film scripts, and also recently got into photography and videography.
Turns out, the area I live in doesn’t really have a lot of entry level writing positions, especially for technical writing. All of the job postings I saw were in the city, and that was a no go for me (wouldn’t be feasible, didn’t feel comfortable moving out yet, also in a serious long distance relationship). I got discouraged, and ultimately ended up as a journalist for a local newspaper (which I actually did my internship for). I figured it was good experience if I wanted to be a technical writer, there are a lot of relevant skills involved. Well, that place was a disaster, and I ended up leaving after eight months.
I took some time to myself after that. Did some landscaping work with a family friend for about 3 months, just trying to figure out what the fuck I wanted to do and how to get there. I discovered copywriting, and thought it would be an ideal career for me. I started getting super motivated to figure out how to become one on my own. I started picking up more skills (photography, videography, adobe creative suite), started reading on copywriting, watched Mad Men (lol), and more.
While this whole copywriting thing was happening, I got a job as a writer/editor for a trade association. It’s nothing special, but it’s more writing experience I guess. It pays decent for my area (35K)...
Fast forward almost a year... still not a copywriter. Still not a technical writer. Still at this job, that I now despise. It’s funny, during my first interview I remember texting my girlfriend “I already know I’m not gonna like this job. I want to do something that I’m proud to do!” Look at me now... I fell off the copywriting train after failing to create a portfolio of spec work. I now think that the whole copywriting thing is just corny. Technical writing seems boring to me now. I just don’t know what the fuck to do anymore... My girlfriend is going to grad school this fall to become a teacher. It’s just so frustrating not knowing what I want to do because I feel like I’m floating in limbo.
TL;DR: 23, had some potential career paths but fell out of them and now I’m lost; what do I do?
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official
Aucun commentaire: