34F, STEM PhD and feeling lost regarding my future employment prospects. My postdoc funding runs out in October, and while I'm applying for piecemeal grants to try to prolong the misery, I absolutely know I'm neither cut out for a faculty appointment, nor would I particularly enjoy the work that would come with it. I had one interview this year for a TT professorship, and I was extremely relieved when the position was offered to another candidate because I suspect the tenure track would literally kill me. I know I need out, but I feel like I have virtually no skills of value in industry--my bench skills are not particularly sought after, and my data analysis skills are ok but I truly hate programming and writing code. My writing skills are excellent, but it's not my favorite thing. I don't hate teaching, but I don't have a ton of experience, and the pay and prospects for job security aren't so great for lecturers. Most of the alternative career paths I've looked into are not particularly appealing, but I would almost rather die than go "back to school" for an MBA/JD/etc. (and I definitely don't have the money to do so).
I've looked into clinical trials/research, and have even completed coursework in regulatory affairs, but it seems like a desperately competitive and difficult field to break into. Most problematically, entry-level positions in the field seem to entail fairly low-level administrative work (many don't even require a bachelor's degree), but higher-level positions require 3+ years' experience in the industry. How does one make a career change with credentials that make them seem overqualified for entry level positions? Is it worth taking an assistant/coordinator position at a low salary to start with in hopes of moving up? Should I leave my PhD off of my resume and highlight my experience managing a lab for 6+ years? Should I consult a recruiter?
Also, how should I time leaving my postdoc? When should I start applying for positions? I have about enough cash saved to survive a few months of unemployment, but would really prefer to avoid any lapse (I am currently providing health insurance for both myself and my husband, which would be really expensive since he works as a software contractor).
TL;DR: miserable postdoc seeks alternative employment, but unsure how to fight the inertia of academia and get that first job.
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official
Aucun commentaire: