I have a 5 year gap in my work history due to depression, should I be upfront about it to employers?

Long story short, I left my previous job (non-programming) amicably but quickly fell into a depression that lasted several years since I couldn't find work. I have since recovered and gotten a master's degree in computer science (3.95 GPA, graduating this December) and several personal projects to fill out my portfolio. I feel like I'm a willing and able employee, just without any job experience. I'm still not sure how much of a red flag that is to employers.

I was thrown off in a recent interview where the interviewer looked at me skeptically and said "really? 5 years to learn this new field?" and all I could think of was to say "yeah, I self-taught myself a lot during that time".

Should I reveal that the large break was due to mental health reasons? What if I just left it at "health reasons"? Or is it best to just keep up my story of "I was teaching myself programming and it just took a really long time"?

edit: the consensus seems to be to keep it under wraps. I'll work on the delivery then. Thank you for the responses!

usa jobs
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official

I have a 5 year gap in my work history due to depression, should I be upfront about it to employers? I have a 5 year gap in my work history due to depression, should I be upfront about it to employers? Reviewed by Louhi on novembre 29, 2018 Rating: 5

Aucun commentaire:

Fourni par Blogger.