Asking for a reference from CURRENT supervisor

I'm sure someone must have run into this situation so I'm hoping you can offer me some advice. It seems to be more and more common that job postings are asking for references from your CURRENT supervisor. How do you handle this?

I'm planning to leave my current position so that I can move across the country to be close to my mom who was diagnosed with cancer in the fall. The job that I'm applying for is asking for 2 professional references -- the job ad specifically asks you to provide permission to contact your current supervisor and your most recent supervisor when applying.

My mom is doing ok now but I really want to be there as a support to her. My supervisor knows about my mom's diagnosis since I took almost 2 weeks off when she had her surgery. So I don't think it will be a complete shock to him that I'm leaving and he's a decent guy so he may appreciate me being upfront and letting him know ahead of time that I'm looking. But who's to know for sure how he'll react?

So my options as I see it are: 1. be upfront with my manager, let him know that I'm planning to leave so I can be close to my mom and ask him to be a reference 2. apply to the job with my manager's name and contact info. but ask that they let me know before contacting him 3. don't provide my manager's name and say that I will be happy to provide it if I am shortlisted for the position. (Although I get the impression that asking for references is a way to shortlist candidates? Any thoughts on this?)

I really want this position so I don't want to not provide what's requested and reduce my chance of getting the position. And even if I don't get this particular position, it seems to be a common thing to request so I'll just be running into it again later. But what if I don't get the job and then my supervisor knows that I plan to leave and/or what if he gets angry?

usa jobs
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official

Asking for a reference from CURRENT supervisor Asking for a reference from CURRENT supervisor Reviewed by Louhi on novembre 24, 2018 Rating: 5

Aucun commentaire:

Fourni par Blogger.