Industry, culture, or compensation?

Looking to get a variety of perspectives so where else to look other than Reddit for thoughts.

Disclaimer: this is a champaign problem I have, so if you’re struggling in your job search you may want to skip this post. Stay with it tho, it took almost 3 months (not an exaggeration) before I got my first interview, and just like sales, when it rains it pours.

Background Info: I currently work for a tech giant as a sales Team Lead over SMB/mid-market accounts. We primarily sell hardware, but also SaaS, enterprise grade support contracts, and professional service engagements. I’ve got 7 years experience flexing between Account Executive, Account Manager, and last two years overseeing a team of 5-12 AE/AM’s (pandemic has given us wide swings for headcount). We kill it in all categories, fastest sales growth in region. Our workplace culture is pretty stellar, but our pay compensation is actually wayyyyy lower than the industry standard - probably by 25-50% or more. Our benefits are bar-none though.

I’ve felt undervalued for the last several years, and I’m now in a place where I can make a move physically and professionally. There’s very little headroom for me to move into a higher role at my current company unless I pivot to a different department which I am not interested in. I’ve learned I also want to eventually become a director or VP of sales in the next 5-10 years, and am ok if thats at a startup. My partner and I are definitely moving to Austin, TX for a variety of reasons, job opportunities as a major factor, and using this physical move to make a professional move too. No kids, partner is about to be an attorney, and in our early/mid 30s.

The situation: Through my job search (hundreds of apps, dozens of screening interviews, and about 2-4 orgs currently in process for panel), I’ve come to the realization that I want to work in a 21st century high impact industry, ideally in one that requires a high degree of intellectual horsepower, as I could stand out in a role like that (background is in biochemistry and business administration), and I would get bored otherwise. This has led me to start focusing on cybersecurity sales roles, but before I tailored my job search I was applying to any and everything that would get us to Austin quickly and for a pay I know I’m worth based on the value of the deals I close.

I’ve got a job offer (first one) that is an industry that I’m not too fond of nor familiar with (ready-for-sales lead generation), but the work culture seems overall pretty solid and they even bumped up their typical base pay to meet my expectations ($5k difference). They are still very new and startup-y in the US, so the job offer had issues in it initially, and when I brought to their attention they fixed it and gave me another week to think it over. That time expires tomorrow.

I’m about to schedule a panel for a network security/cybersecurity role, but likely won’t happen till next week. The workplace culture seems pretty dry and direct, but they have established an amazing platform and deploy new features and product faster than anything I’ve ever seen. It will require massive amounts of time and energy to stay apprised of new offerings and gain adoption, but I actually believe I would thrive in that environment. The pay would be comparable to my current offer. Still, I’m only at panel stage, no offer. Got past recruiter and hiring manager, but I’m far away from job guarantee.

I’ve gotten completely different responses from various friends and family that I trust, and I’m still on the fence as to what to do. Austin is teeming with opportunity, but I really worry that doing lead generation will not look favorable on my resume if I were to take the role and then start looking to switch verticals to something I would consider more reputable and aligned with my long-term goals.

My thoughts: A helpful exercise I use is to imagine myself telling someone a year from now what I do: “I sell leads to companies” literally makes me grimace. There’s also no real solution-making with that product because there’s not much to say beyond “how are the leads working out? Ok, will let my marketing team know to make some tweaks.” Outside of that, success will be predicated on one’s ability to sell, not one’s ability to take complex concepts and break them down to align with a client’s needs.

But then when I go back to job searching there’s so few options that pay what this company is offering I get concerned I may be passing up on a good thing that ticks my short-term boxes. Cybersecurity sales roles are becoming more common, but they pale in comparison to the quantity of everything else out there in mid-market or enterprise sales spanning across other industries.

My request: 1) What would you do if you were in this position and why? 2) What would you suggest I do given my current situation, background and future goals?

I’m approaching this as a “Freakonomics coin flip scenario,” so any and all responses will be helpful in my decision-making. Thanks everyone!

usa jobs
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official

Industry, culture, or compensation? Industry, culture, or compensation? Reviewed by Louhi on juillet 28, 2021 Rating: 5

Aucun commentaire:

Fourni par Blogger.