I finally turned in my notice: A story

A few weeks ago, I was scrambling around trying to find a job. I work in the hospitality industry but my current workplace burnt me out. There was just a lot of mismanagement going on. We were working skeleton crew since the panini happened. We started to pick back up slowly but, despite our desk manager asking them to hire more people for our department, they didn't hire more. Until a few weeks ago when my manager finally decided to quit. She was overworked--they expected her to pick up shifts that are not covered especially if someone calls out (which is even harder because we had just enough people for each shift, including her). She worked shifts on top of doing her duties as a manager and whatever else they dumped on her. After she turned in her notice, they finally decided to hire more people. Upper management and HR also caught wind that I may also be planning to quit. I straight up told HR that, yes, I was actively looking for other employment. I told them my grievances and the issue we had been facing. I also brought up the fact that I think I am underpaid (GM acknowledged I was technically doing supervisor work during my shift when I'm not even one) especially for my skills and experience (13 years total in Hospitality, 14 total in Customer Service). They refused to outright offer me anything instead leaving the dollar amount up to me to think about. A few days later, they checked back with me if I had thought about it. At this point, I already was interviewing for another job and had a good feeling about it, so I told them not to worry about a raise, as long as they gave me the support I needed aka another person to work with me. I wasn't too keen on working another hotel job to replace this, but anything just to finally quit. I got through three rounds of interview at this other hotel, all the way up to the GM. I received an email from them offering me a position and I typed up my notice a few minutes later while at work. Instead of a two-weeks notice, I gave them one. I honestly didn't care about burning bridges. The bridge had been burned on my end even before I typed up that notice.

A couple days later, I received a call from a warehouse I applied and interviewed for a week before. I had lost hope I would get that job and just accepted that I would be working at another hotel again. When I got that voicemail, I was so happy, I almost teared up. I really wanted to get away from the hospitality industry and this was finally my chance. It's hard for me to look for good paying non-shift jobs in the area because I still go to school. The other hotel I applied for would basically pay me around the same I'm making now--much lower than the warehouse. I emailed the hotel to respectfully decline their offer.

Now here's the kicker... HR at my current property acted surprised that I turned in my notice. A couple weeks prior, they raised my pay by $1 even though I said I didn't need it (my code for idgaf because I will still quit). So I don't know if they really thought that was enough to appease me or what. When they asked what they can do or why I was quitting, I told them I was unhappy and have been unhappy for months now. Then they tell me I'm valued blah blah blah. If I was truly valued for my skills and experience, they should have given me a raise earlier on and not after my manager put in her notice. They only really gave me a raise because they were worried I would leave too. I honestly thought that was insulting.

Edit: Sorry for the long post. Also, a guest really just came up to me to ask me to take their clothing up to their room while they go eat. I gave them a very incredulous-sounding "what" and probably accidentally gave them a dirty look. My RBF don't lie even with a mask on. Rant over.

But anyway, I finally was able to quit and I am beyond relieved right now! A few more days and I will be free from this place!

usa jobs
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official

I finally turned in my notice: A story I finally turned in my notice: A story Reviewed by Louhi on juillet 29, 2021 Rating: 5

Aucun commentaire:

Fourni par Blogger.