Hired under pretense I'd be in working in person, considering staying remote?

I recently got hired at a company that is currently fully remote because of the pandemic but having most of the staff go back in person soon. They also have a good amount of permanently remote workers as well as promises of a flexible work from home policy going forward (they have not shared the details though). When I interviewed, I expressed interest in staying remote because I do not want to live in the area anymore (it's HCOL, very far from family, I would have to live alone for reasons without having family/people I'd feel comfortable rooming with, won't be able to save a lot of money because of the cost of living) but I was told they would "probably prefer" me to be in person. (Also for clarity, I was living there before the pandemic but went to stay with family in another state). It kind of makes sense to be in person because of the nature of my job but we've also proven these jobs can be done fully remote so it's really not completely necessary. Additionally, there will be so many permanently remote workers that meetings/company functions will have to be designed to support them. Still I think they just prefer to have people there. Even though I knew I did not want to move there, I decided to take the job because I thought the experience would be worth it.

Recently I found out that as part of their plan to return to office, you have to meet certain vaccination requirements. I do not meet these requirements because I participated in a trial for a vaccine that is not approved by the FDA yet. This means I would be forced to continue working from home until this vaccine gets approved. As far as I can tell that's at best 3 - 6 months away and that is purely speculation. This is just my opinion but what if it never gets approved?? I can't rule that out as a possibility. During my interview process, I asked for information on their vaccine policy and they were unable to share any information with me at this time. If they told me that I would potentially be barred from returning to office for an undetermined period of time I might have thought differently about the position.

This made me really reconsider how much I need to move back to that HCOL area where the job is. The more I think about it, the more exasperated I feel that I could be saving so much money if I stayed remote. I have a sibling moving to the same state but a different city soon and I'm heavily considering moving with them. If I know I will be stuck at home for possibly 6 months more, it makes no sense to me to go back to the HCOL area and just wait? They are barely paying me enough to stay afloat in that area and now that we've proven things can be done remotely I don't think I should have to go. If I moved in with my sibling, I'd not only be able to pay an appropriate amount for rent in relation to my paycheck (as opposed to over 50% of my paycheck if I stayed in HCOL area), I'd have someone I trust who can help share living expenses/life stuff with (I have a huge dog and it would be really nice to have someone who I trust to help with him), and I wouldn't feel isolated and sad like I did when I was living in HCOL area. I think it would be a huge boon to my mental health if I lived with sibling because in the past I've felt very isolated and sad living so far from my family. I've never had any family live in that area and it's expensive to travel back frequently so I miss a lot of family events.

Furthermore, there's a lot I like about working remotely and I'm not sure I want to go back to the traffic and being around people in enclosed spaces again if I don't have to. I've gotten really used to not getting sick every couple of weeks because some idiot comes to work sick and infects everyone. My job requires me to work late a lot and I can easily do that from my own room whereas before I'd be staying until 11 pm at night sometimes in the office. I don't mind the extra hours but I don't think I can go back to doing that in the office anymore if I know I have other options now. When I calculate the amount of money I could save if I moved in with my sibling it's insane how much I'd be saving. I am in my early thirties and I want to buy a house soon. If I moved in with my sibling, it would make that dream years closer than if I moved to HCOL area and lived alone. Furthermore, they have made a huge point in messaging that they are taking care of the permanently remote workers and adapting everything to make sure they don't feel left out. This makes me really question why I cannot be permanently remote as well.

So what I'm here for is advice on how bad it would be if I told my job I'm not comfortable moving there anymore. If I moved in with my sibling, I'd be a couple hours drive or a very quick flight to the new job city and could easily visit in office occasionally once I'm allowed to go back. Pre-pandemic, it would be pretty standard to occasionally fly in remote workers. But I also know that they hinted at not wanting me to be remote (they didn't explicitly tell me no though). I guess I want to know if this sounds like I could be burning a bridge or if it sounds reasonable. I feel like it is not fair to ask me to go back to that HCOL city if it's perfectly reasonable for me to work remotely and I have proven that I can work remotely effectively. Another option could be that if I move in with sibling, sign a year lease with them, and tell my workplace after the year concludes I could reconsider, but I'm also keeping in mind that I'm potentially 6 months away from even being allowed in the office at all so 6 additional months isn't that long.

What do you think?

usa jobs
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official

Hired under pretense I'd be in working in person, considering staying remote? Hired under pretense I'd be in working in person, considering staying remote? Reviewed by Louhi on juillet 04, 2021 Rating: 5

Aucun commentaire:

Fourni par Blogger.