Using LinkedIn to network for people with Autism

The career advisors at my university have recommended that I use LinkedIn in order to overcome the difficulties I have in networking. Network is difficult for me because I have Autism. Because of this, my peers tend to bully me and disrespect me. I have even experienced bullying at university, which disappointed me since I thought university students would behave maturely. I saw LinkedIn as a way to form connections with my peers, but I am so tempted to just delete my account after a year of using the site.

Firstly, I have reached 42 connections, but none of my connections are people that support me. I have 0 skill endorsements. I see that most of my peers have 15+ endorsements for each skill. I try to converse with my peers by asking them open-ended questions about their professions and ambitions, but no one responds. When they do not respond, I just let the conversation be. When I send people connection requests, I always greet them, congratulate them on their career accomplishments and mention common career interests that we have in common. I try to start a conversation this way, but no one takes the time to reply. I understand that most people only use LinkedIn to update their profiles. Nevertheless, I cannot help but see my peers as rude people.

In addition to this, LinkedIn has a negative environment. The stories featured in the news tab are upsetting and ruin my mood. I have seen headlines like “Why normal will never come back” and “Introverts are a burden on companies” in the news section. It seems like there is no way to hide the news section. My connections are also toxic and insufferable. I ended up unfollowing them all because many of them just rant and like negative posts. This aspect of LinkedIn disappointed me because the site claims that it is a professional site, but many of its users conduct themselves as if they were on Facebook.

Lastly, even though I enable the open to network and open to work options, I receive nothing but spam. I once had someone add me and claim that they would offer me a job if I accepted their friend request. The message sounded like a straight up phishing scam and I could not find any info on the alleged company that “wanted to offer me a job”. The friend requests I get are from people that I do not know and that have no connections in common with me. They just send me blank connection requests.

Ultimately, LinkedIn portrays itself as professional network, but the site appears to be as unprofessional as other social media sites. Should I just delete my account? What type of ways can people with Autism network? Is networking as important as people claim?

usa jobs
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official

Using LinkedIn to network for people with Autism Using LinkedIn to network for people with Autism Reviewed by Louhi on mai 22, 2021 Rating: 5

Aucun commentaire:

Fourni par Blogger.