Unsure if I should leave job...

Hello all,

I’m in a bit of a pickle about my current job. I want to leave, but there are a lot of pluses and minuses about my current job. They make it pretty difficult for me to decide whether to start my job search. Any and all advice would be welcome.

The pluses:

-Excellent supervisor. Treats me like a human being. Doesn’t micromanage. Teaches well. Fights for me - but is unable to cover for me during the many times upper management has questioned my work ethic (see the minuses section below).

-Relatively good pay for what I do. I’m a programmer making about $80k.

The minuses:

-Workload. I can count on one hand the number of weeks where I haven't worked over 50 hours. I am salary exempt, so I don't get any paid overtime. I typically don't mind, as I feel I learn quite a bit on the job. But it does get annoying when I haven't had a free 2-day weekend in over a year.

-Upper management. Since the summer of 2020, upper management implemented a timesheet system where my team would have to beg for hours to fill our timesheets. But if a project took too long – always due to something out of our control (ie lots of unplanned changes), then we’d have to eat the hours and make our utilization look like garbage. As a result, I’d get emails from upper management about why I am not working hard enough. I could ask project managers for more hours, but then I’d be negotiating like I’m buying a car. Project managers are incentivized not to give me hours so as to make the project profits better. So it's a lose-lose situation for me.

-Upper management – part 2. I have a feeling that upper management has to present our utilization to clients for whatever reason. During November and December, they got on my case about my poor utilization, which is completely superficial (ie I would have spend 20 hours working on something but only be given 10 hours for it; the person QC'ing my work would tell me that he would have had to spend 30+ hours doing what I did). To make my utilization look better, upper management had me enter my vacation hours for where I didn’t get project hours to bill. Yes, I tried getting more project hours for work I did on those projects. The project managers told me to pound sand. So during November and December 2020, I “donated” about 70 of my accrued vacation hours to the company. When I asked about my "donated" vacation hours, upper management would ignore me.

-Upper management – part 3. No annual bonus for me this year despite the company announcing "excellent profits" during a townhall meeting. I surveyed a few coworkers. About half got bonuses. Those who got bonuses were all ranked above me.

-I’ve been at this position for a little under 2 years. My previous stints were also between 1 and 2 years. I'm in my mid 30s. I’ve heard that anything under 5 years would be seen as job hopping to prospective employers. But I’ve also heard that the computer / programming / data field cares less about this.

-I’ve heard that finding a new position is tough right now. Would it be worth it to just stick it out for now?

What do y’all think?

usa jobs
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official

Unsure if I should leave job... Unsure if I should leave job... Reviewed by Louhi on janvier 10, 2021 Rating: 5

Aucun commentaire:

Fourni par Blogger.