How do I deal with a pretty big misunderstanding at work?

I'm sorry in advance if this a super long post, but want to give as many details about the situation as possible.

My workplace was shut down for a couple months in April/May because of COVID-19. During this time, I was working from home, despite having a relatively hands-on job. When we were finally allowed to come back to work, my boss had to create a Pandemic Work Plan which we had to follow. The pandemic plan stated "Personnel will come to [place of work] only for work that cannot be done remotely." My first week back being physically present at work, I stayed each day for the full 8 hour work day because, based on conversations with my boss and colleagues, that is what I thought I was supposed to be doing. So, at the beginning, even when I finished all of my in-person work, I would stay at work for the remaining 1-2 hours of the work day catching up on emails and other things that could be done remotely. After doing this for a couple weeks, I noticed that my colleague (who is not my boss, but is a direct supervisor to my position) would get visibly upset whenever I didn't leave work after finishing all things that needed to be done in-person. At the end of my second week back, she said that I should leave early when possible because sticking around longer than needed was a "safety issue." This made sense to me, especially when I looked back over the pandemic plan that stated "Personnel will come to [place of work] only for work that cannot be done remotely."

So for the past 3ish months, I have been getting all of my in-person work done as quickly as possible, leaving work, and then working from home for the remaining 1-2 hours of the work day. Last week marked the beginning of a new phase of returning to work for my company and I wasn't sure if this meant I should still be leaving early to work from home or not. So, I asked my colleague whether or not I was still supposed to be leaving early. She didn't answer my question but did get visibly upset and I wasn't sure why. The next day, I had a Zoom meeting with this colleague and my boss, and my boss (who has been working from home this whole time, not actually at the workplace) seemed a little upset as well but she didn't say why. She then said that she was sending us an updated pandemic plan that we should read through and also said "Nothing about this plan has changed, except I added [2 other coworkers] to the plan." I looked over the plan and the changes she mentioned were there, but then it also stated "Personnel will be present for full days, at least 5 days a week."

And since then, I have been getting the feeling that all this time, I was not actually supposed to be leaving early and finishing work from home. No one has actually told me this because there is not much direct communication at my work, but what I think happened is that my boss had no idea I was leaving work early (I thought she did) and my colleague just now told her that I was. I also think it's possible that she thinks I was not doing any work from home either and just working less hours, which is not the case, but it would be a major problem if she does think this because I have been submitting my bi-weekly time card with normal work hours.

I feel like this is all a huge misunderstanding and even though no one has directly told me anything negative, I do feel tension now. Ever since receiving the updated pandemic plan, I have been staying physically present at work for the full work day and tensions have reduced significantly. I don't exactly want to call attention to the issue, but feel really horrible about the whole thing and feel like I should address the issue by maybe emailing my boss an apology and letting her know that I genuinely thought I was supposed to be leaving work as soon as I finished everything that needed to be done in-person.

Any advice on how to handle this issue? Should I send an apology email or just let it go? If I should send the email, any advice on how to word it? I don't want to place blame on anyone, I just want her to understand that I was working from home for the remaining hours (not neglecting my job) and apologize for misunderstanding.

TLDR: I misunderstood my workplace's pandemic plan and had been leaving work earlier than I should have been and working from home for the remaining 1-2 hours of the workday. I later found out that I was likely supposed to be physically present at work for the full day and now feel really horrible. Advice?

usa jobs
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official

How do I deal with a pretty big misunderstanding at work? How do I deal with a pretty big misunderstanding at work? Reviewed by Louhi on septembre 26, 2020 Rating: 5

Aucun commentaire:

Fourni par Blogger.