I am a student in an engineering discipline. I currently work for a company that would like to have me after my studies, but a few months ago I had an opportunity fall in my lap that was IMO too good to pass up. Better pay, much better benefits, better opportunities to learn, good company culture, lots of travel, in a subset of my field I have always been very interested in and where expertise is really lacking. It'd set me up really well for the future.
Current company is pretty good. I'm honestly not leaving because I'm unhappy, I'm leaving because I feel I could be even happier. By a stroke of luck, I kept my job through COVID and the other company has also confirmed that my offer is still good and that they would be expecting me to start at the agreed upon date.
I made up my mind to leave while the economy was good but obviously COVID is a monkey wrench. A few things are making me hesitate. First, the new company has been through a big round of layoffs a few weeks ago. Second, the new company is very involved in a boom/bust industry (mining) and I'd guess mining is pretty bust right now. It's not all they do but it accounts for a big part of their activities. The company I work for now is involved in a much more stable industry. It's also much smaller, and with the way COVID is wrecking small businesses, who knows what'll happen in the medium term.
Leaving a job is always a risk but in these uncertain times it's riskier than ever. The thing is that I am not very knowledgeable with the way things generally happen in hiring and firing. Do layoffs generally happen in waves or in one big shot? My biggest fear is leaving for the new position and getting the ax in short order. The fact that they've done pretty extensive layoffs but also left my offer standing is a bit of a mixed message too. They seem to still be hiring (recent jobs posted on their website) so I guess they've laid off more people than they had to and that further waves aren't forthcoming. At the same time, emergency COVID measures are pretty extensive in my country so even if I were to be laid off, I wouldn't be sent to the streets to starve.
It's a bit of a puzzle. I know no one can divine what'll happen in the future for me, but I'm in need of second opinions. Am I overthinking or blowing this out of proportion?
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official
Aucun commentaire: