Finding work by word of mouth

I've been working on a tool that helps freelancers find work by word of mouth. I'm working on it as a viable alternative to finding work on gig sites like fiver and upwork (low pay and often first-time clients) and producing content and building an online brand (takes time and consistency which is hard to maintain when you are working 30-40 hours/week on your actual job). It helps them build a maintain their own professional network as a reliable source of freelance work.

A lot of freelancers that I have spoken to as I build this project say that they get the majority of their best clients from word of mouth. Yet it is a passive process, they have no system to actively encourage more referrals by word of mouth.

The solution that I am working on is based on two ideas:

You have to shortlist 50 - 150 people that start thinking of as your base network. These don't have to be potential clients, they should be people that can potentially refer clients to you. So other freelancers, past clients, mentors and string personal connections are all good people to add to this list.

You have to stay in touch with every one of these people at least once a year. That's 3 people a week if you have 150 people on the list. Beyond touching base and seeing what they are up to you have actually invest time into helping them out.

You do have to strike a balance between breadth and depth here. You can't invest all of your time into helping one person, but you also have to spend enough time on each person to actually be helpful. An hour or two per contact is a good average (so about 5 hours a week). The game is to listen to where people are and what they are dealing with when you touch base so that you can figure out helpful ways you can follow up with them.

We got our first paying client this month. We have 39 people on the platform and 204 people who have signed up to the waiting list and I am onboarding them one by one.

I'm working on the project because I hate finding work on gig sites, I am a developer and I am a freelancer.

It's still a work in progress but I'm interested to know what you think. The project is called Client Tree and you can read more about it here.

If you like this idea, what is it that you like about it?

If you think it is rubbish, why wouldn't you use it?

I'm still working on the FAQ so if you have any question please ask away.

usa jobs
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official

Finding work by word of mouth Finding work by word of mouth Reviewed by Louhi on mars 14, 2020 Rating: 5

Aucun commentaire:

Fourni par Blogger.