Hi, hopefully can get some good advice and other perspectives.
I recently was hired on (November 1st) to a new job. In this position, I was originally hired to do social media. After hiring, on my first day, I was introduced to the dreaded slash-title. I am now the social media slash PR person, which means I handle everything communications related from event planning to graphic design (digital and print) to writing copy for the newsletters etc etc. I know how to code, so my boss also wants me to chip in on the website end of things at times, even though he outsources that job to someone who works from home.
So, it's a lot and while I feel a bit overwhelmed at all the things he throws at me (daily, almost, a new request/task/etc) and I don't get to manage the big picture as much as I like, it is still a good gig in that I keep a lot of creative control and flexibility in both hours and what I put out. I was happy with the way things were going.
Until last week. My boss calls me into the office (I report directly to the CEO) and tells me I was rude to one of the other employees, who we will call D, via email. The other employee said I "ordered her" to do something instead of asking. I was dumbfounded. He said I would need to take a training on how to properly communicate with people in a kind way.
I went back to my desk and forwarded him the email. He said, "No, that email was fine. I'm not sure what she was talking about." (The email WAS very nice, and I am very mindful on how to speak with people. I used to be a social worker. I used to be a manager. I've taken tons of communication courses and trainings. I used "would you mind?" language/"we" language...and just asked her to do something it is her literal job to do, so it wasn't like I was throwing something at her from left field.) From this, I gather she just doesn't like me, but no big deal. We don't need to talk much etc.
Then a day or so later, my boss asks me to meet and close the door behind him. Very seriously, he says, "I get the feeling you're just biding your time here until something better comes along. Should I invest more in you? I need to know you want this job before I do. Another employee, Z, says blah blah blah [nothing true.]" I just said yes and looked dumbfounded.
A few days later, my boss calls me in to tell me he's "very mad" about one of the candid shots I got of someone on his birthday. (This person signed consent forms for media, etc, so all on the up and up.) We sang to him and I wanted to share the moment. While the photo was on my phone and not the best quality, it was more about the story that went with it and not the image. Still, it wasn't that bad of a shot, just very 'candid' and his eyes were closed from laughing.
He said we will need to reevaluate whether this is the right job for me.
Later, Z got very rude and snarky with me. I have no idea what is going on with either of them, as I have never been anything but nice. Of course, I then put two and two together and determine Z and D must be good friends.
Later that same day, some other employees asked me out for drinks. I asked about Z and D being friends. "Say no more - YES. And yeah, say no more," with an eye roll. I guess this is a common thing.
I explained all the weirdness that had happened in the last week. They all said (about 7 of them) they had all gone through the same things in the beginning, and it gets better. My boss is just always suspicious about people in the beginning and the only real thing that helps is time.
Here's the thing. WHAT THE HELL?
Should I turn tail and run? Or is this something I'm going to keep running into, over and over and over again in office environments?
I usually work for nonprofits and the people there are always happy to be doing the work and the environment is just overall more kind. This culture is new to me. But I don't want to quit, get another job, just to have this happen over and over. Is this just part of the 'game' of working a 9-5?
By the way, not to toot my horn, but I'm very talented at what I do. I have a Master's in Media.
I am not desperate for this job. I have a successful freelance business I could invest more time into, and another part time job I could turn into full time but the work there isn't what I would want to do.
Please help me figure out my next steps: Is this stuff normal or not?
Thoughts?
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official
Aucun commentaire: