Want to leave but terminating the contract will put me into debt

I am 27M and from outside the US. Years ago I signed a contract with a company to sponsor my undergraduate degree. In exchange, I agreed to work for them for 4 years. The company paid for tuition and gave me a living allowance throughout. While in school I also worked a job unrelated to my major. I took a few months off after graduating to pursue this job, and 8 months ago I started working for the company that sponsored me. 

I have a degree in mechanical engineering. I chose it because I wanted to work in designing and developing new products. Instead, the role I've been assigned consists almost entirely of field supervision of workers. The job is in the construction industry. My colleagues have all been here doing the same thing for 6-10 years and none of them are graduates. The job itself has nothing to do with my course of study and I had no idea how to do it when I started. My employment agreement states M-F regular working hours but in practice the work goes on 24/7 and I have to physically be around 7 days a week. There is no overtime pay or time-off for overtime. 

I've been struggling here for 8 months. I've asked HR what they have planned for me and was told I would have the opportunity to move to another department in 3 years. Company policy states a minimum of 1 year before transferring. I hate this job. I've been trying hard, but the job is entirely new to me and there has been poor or no guidance throughout. 

This isn't what I signed up for, and I'm afraid that the time I spend here won't bring me towards my career goals or the kind of work I want to do. I dread going to work everyday. I feel mentally and physically exhausted when I get home, and not just because the job is physically demanding. Often I've felt overwhelmed and helpless when I got home knowing that I would be back at work in 12 hours or less. I've been working out less frequently and lost interest in other activities I used to enjoy. My mind is distracted by work even after I leave.

The kicker: if I leave now, I have to pay back whatever the company spent on me with exorbitant compounded interest. The amount reduces the longer I work here. They won't tell me the exact amount, but I've got a good idea of what it is (well into 6 digits). If I pooled everything I have I would be 30K in debt. My wife is willing to cover my shortfall but I really don't want to put this burden on her. I also keep feeling that I should toughen up and not sacrifice everything just because I couldn't handle the job. Almost everyone doesn't like their job, right?

I've started looking for other jobs. But first I'll be talking to HR and angling for a transfer. Quitting is a last resort but I've been mentally preparing myself for the possibility.

Is quitting just a big stupid idea? How can I improve my chances of a transfer?

usa jobs
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official

Want to leave but terminating the contract will put me into debt Want to leave but terminating the contract will put me into debt Reviewed by Louhi on mai 13, 2019 Rating: 5

Aucun commentaire:

Fourni par Blogger.