Should I push for a $2 raise instead of $1?

So I’ve been working as an intern at this company for 6 months as of yesterday. I’ve really been enjoying it, even though it’s largely IT support, because I like knowing that I can do this job and do it well. In my major, cyber engineering (basically computer science with lots of calculus, general engineering classes, and a handful of electrical engineering classes), my peers have a real passion for this work. They go home and do this stuff for fun. It’s always given me a bit of ‘imposter syndrome’ because honestly, I’m just doing this to get a job. I don’t have many side projects or anything. So this job is basically a good reminder that I’m not useless lol.

So I’m working for a pretty small IT team. Me and another girl are the first interns that most of them have ever worked with on this team, so having interns is a pretty new experience for a lot of them, including my boss.

We’ll call the other intern CG for crazy girl, which she kinda is. She’s really smart, but seems to have a lot of attitude issues and doesn’t get along well with everyone. Lots of drama, which I’ve noticed doesn’t work well in our environment.

When I started, the only other intern, CG, told me that because she’d be training me, she got a raise, from $15 to $17. Cool, that’s fair. She was there for 2 months before me, and training is a pretty big task. But she didn’t actually train me much at all; it was largely another coworker of mine that did. But I started at $15 an hour.

Four months later, I’m covering for another coworker that had been fired, and I’m matching and exceeding the number of tickets some other full-timers are completing, while only being part-time (my boss has admittedly told me). My boss told me he likes the work I’ve been doing and has me slated as a hire when I graduate next spring. He also mentioned he’d work to get me a raise when I hit 6 months because he wants to show me that he’s serious about me staying. Cool, that’s great!

Im at 6 months now. CG was let go a month ago because she’s given a lot of indications that she didn’t intend to stay on our team, like looking for other work over the summer (which I don’t think is wrong, but she was taking time off for interviews and orientation for her new job and TELLING our boss this, which I think was the real mistake). She’s had boundary issues with people (like rubbing a coworker’s head, general oversharing of her life, etc).

My review was today, and my boss let me know he’s giving me a raise to $16. I’ll admit I’m pretty disappointed. I was expecting at least $17 like CG had already been receiving. The past few months have been really busy (with our only desktop support person and CG both being let go), and I’m just disappointed that my raise doesn’t even match the wage CG had at 2 months.

Does it seem like something worth bringing up? I was so surprised during my review that I didn’t challenge it. But I’m worried about my position here; I’m just an intern, very easily replaceable. I’m not entitled to anything. It seems like my boss hires interns now for extra support while also evaluating whether they’d be a good fit for the team. If not (like in CG’s case), he ends the internship and gets a new intern with more long-term potential for the team. Our new intern just started yesterday, and I’m doing a lot of his training when I’m here.

Please tell me if anything here is unclear or if you need any more context. I lack a lot of experience, so it’s hard for me to know if I’m being unreasonable here. I appreciate any guidance anyone can offer. Thank you for reading!

usa jobs
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official

Should I push for a $2 raise instead of $1? Should I push for a $2 raise instead of $1? Reviewed by Louhi on mai 08, 2019 Rating: 5

Aucun commentaire:

Fourni par Blogger.