Thoughts on bringing up an outside offer when asking for a raise at current job?

I'm interested in peoples' general thoughts on this, as well as how they pertain to my particular situation.

My Situation

I've been at my job nearly 5 years. We get 1-2% COLA raises every year but that's it. So even though my skillset has gotten substantially stronger since I've been here, I've essentially never gotten a raise. I don't think raises for staff (I work at a University) are a common thing. The nature of my department is a sort of research/IT blend.

I don't have the outside offer yet, but I had a Skype interview with another Uni that went extremely well, and an in-person interview coming up. I am getting a very good vibe in my correspondence with this other university, and I know I surpass all of the required skills they are looking for. So I think I have a very good chance of getting an offer at maybe 10 - 15K more than I currently make, based on the posted salary range.

That said, there are a few reasons I think I might prefer to stay at my current job. As a benefit, I just began a masters program that is going to look great on my resume when I finish, and I pay very little for it. I (mostly) like my co-workers and enjoy the work. I've only been interviewing (very selectively, this is my 3rd interview in 18 months) in case I find something better. I'll know more after my interview, but unless they blow me away with interesting work projects, awesome personalities, and a clearly good work-life balance, I'll probably lean toward staying at my current job.

Which brings me to asking for a raise. I know I am very good at what I do and that my boss is pretty afraid of me leaving. I'm the only one who knows how to do many important functions of our office, and finding and training someone to get up to speed to where I am now would be a nightmare and probably take years. I have more education (a PhD) than others in my department, and as I mentioned above I've gone 5 years with virtually no raise, while contributing more and more. So I am planning on asking for a raise, outside offer or not.

The complication to the raise discussion is that my direct supervisor is extremely averse to asking for money. She wouldn't be able to adjust my salary on her own; she'd have to take it to the person above her (the provost), and ime she HATES asking for more money/resources. For example, her computer is old and junky and she desperately needs a new one, but put off asking for one for years. She seems to try to spend less and less every year. Anytime anyone asks for something (like some cheap software or a whiteboard) you can see a look of horror on her face. Plus, if I asked for a raise, I'd be making more than the person "above me," the assistant director, However, he has less education than I do, and just happened to start a year before me at the same level. When the old asst. director unexpectedly quit after 6 months, he got the promotion to asst director (but no raise). So we make about the same, and do similar jobs. (I know we make about the same because I asked him).

Based on her aversion for asking for money, I have thought of a few approaches to asking for a raise. Let's assume I do get an outside offer for higher than my current salary: (1) Just ask her and don't bring up the outside offer because that could create drama, (2) Let her know about the outside offer, because I don't think she would go to the provost asking for more money unless she was cornered, (3) Let her know about the outside offer, but let her know that I'm willing to stay for less than the outside offer, like a meet-in-the-middle raise, or (4) go directly to the provost (her boss) with my request for a raise and/or outside offer (less inclined to do this since I don't have too much contact with him normally, and that would be jumping chain of command).

Sorry for the long post and thank you to anyone who read it. Advice greatly appreciated as i've never been in this situation!

TL;DR: I think it's likely I'll get an outside offer for more than I make. I'd probably rather stay at my current job, but haven't gotten a real raise since I've been there (5 years). I want to ask for a raise, but based on my boss's absolute, total aversion to asking for more money/resources, I think it's unlikely she'll ask her boss to give me a raise unless cornered with my outside offer. And I'm afraid cornering her will lead to drama/awkardness.

usa jobs
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official

Thoughts on bringing up an outside offer when asking for a raise at current job? Thoughts on bringing up an outside offer when asking for a raise at current job? Reviewed by Louhi on février 11, 2019 Rating: 5

Aucun commentaire:

Fourni par Blogger.