IE graduate, might try to get a job as a SWE and need some guidance

I graduate pretty soon with a degree in Industrial Engineering and an average GPA and I'm considering trying to self teach so I can get into software development.

Background:

As an IE undergrad, I have some exposure to C++, MATLAB, R, Python, VBA, HTML and CSS as well as some software such as Minitab, Simio, Labview, Solidworks, etc. Most of my programming experience has related to functional programming and data analytics. I can write recursive functions, do some OOP, write functions / scripts to clean / process data, do statistical modeling and run machine learning algorithms.

Originally, I wanted to get a job in something like data analytics, discrete manufacturing automation or quantitative development however with COVID and the sudden influx of unemployed persons with masters degrees I think I would have a better shot at getting a decent job as a Software engineer granted that I develop my skills.

From what I know, some of my biggest weaknesses relate to Operating Systems, Distributed Computing, data structures such as trees, writing efficient code, all the stuff relating to Big O, etc.

I have a pretty solid background in stats, math and discrete / stochastic optimization which I feel gives me a possible advantage over traditional CS students - not sure about Comp Eng students tho.

Questions:

What skills do I need to develop in order to land a decent entry level job ($70k - $80k) as a software developer / engineer?

How likely is it that I can land a job?

More information:

Ideally, I would like to land a job using Python or C++ and I am able to do a moderate amount of leetcode problems - though that probably really doesn't matter.

Looking towards the future, I still want to get into discrete manufacturing automation or quantitative development and I see working as a software developer for a few years as a stepping stone into these fields. I would probably pair this experience with teaching myself some advanced math / stats or a masters in operations research / computational mathematics

usa jobs
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official

IE graduate, might try to get a job as a SWE and need some guidance IE graduate, might try to get a job as a SWE and need some guidance Reviewed by Louhi on février 28, 2021 Rating: 5

Aucun commentaire:

Fourni par Blogger.