A Job has been Offered, but is it right for me?

I want to preface this post with two things. Firstly that I admit to suffering from anxiety and some imposter syndrome in regards to my career, and that both of these have had a big effect on my job searching and career over the years. Secondly, that while I am more of a lurker than a participator, this subreddit has done a lot to offer some good advice and just a sense of empathy in that people are going through very much the same thing. You people don't get the recognition you deserve on Reddit.

I've been off work since the summer, after having struggled for an extended period of time to find a new job because of my admittedly poor job searching practices and disillusionment with the process. I had a decent job where I was praised for doing well and being "ahead of the pack", and being paid decently for it.

I don't know how many applications I have put out, but I've had about a dozen interviews since then, and today I received my first real job offer for the first time in a long time in my field (Office Administration). I feel like anxiety is getting the better of me and that I am looking for reasons to not take it, and wouldn't mind having a sounding board of objective opinions, as those in my family would simply tell me to "just take it and look for something else".

Pros:

  • It's not far from home, and the commute wouldn't be bad at all.
  • At a glance, does not seem like a challenging position, but I would end up having a significant number of responsibilities.
  • The concept is familiar, and what I have wanted to get back into for a long time: Office Administration. This is what I want to do to rebuild my career and using this as a stepping stone to do so, has significant value to me.
  • A human, stable schedule. I liked my job, until the pandemic hit, but the one big negative about it was a schedule that rotated across all 24 hours. Unlike some of my colleagues I was easier to adapt to it, but not being able to see loved ones during the week sometimes was difficult.

Cons:

  • It is a small company. It has 4-5 people in a small office. While the company has been around nearly twenty years and seems solvent and is undergoing a period of growth due to online sales during the pandemic, I would obviously not be a nameless cog in the wheel and would stand out to the managers. This in itself is not a bad thing, however previously in my employment history, and as explained during my interview, I had been employed at small companies before (roughly a dozen to thirty people), and friction with the on-hands owners in a toxic and tight atmosphere led to universally negative experiences. Because of the company's size, I was not able to find any information on the usual review sites (glassdoor, linkedin, etc).
  • The position is an effective dead-end. While it will be good to add more, positive and stable work experience to my CV, I am cognizant that inside the company, there is no room for advancement as the next step will be the owners themselves. As a result, I feel there will not be any room for an increase in salary. Ever.
  • Speaking of salary; the pay is somewhat low. It is not offensively low, and matches somewhat what I expected for the position, and size of the company, though it is on the lower side of what was advertised. However I would be going from positions which compensate me for 40 hours of work per week, to 35 hours, and going from companies with benefits, to a company with zero benefits. Effectively it's an immediate reduction in pay, not including any benefits, and as previously mentioned, I feel like this will be the last conversation myself and supervisor ever have about my pay.
  • A few red flags popped up in our video interview. Again, this could be my anxiety speaking. I was interview by two people, one who conducted the majority of the questioning and explained the job position, the other was the owner. The person who conducted the interview explained to me, when questioned, that the position had previously been filled for several years by someone who can no longer come into work due to the pandemic (they did not care to elaborate why this person could not work remotely, or what safety measures are now in place), and that the person hired to replace them left abruptly after a few months to pursue business with family, causing the sudden and urgent need to fill the position. The owner barely spoke to me or asked any questions, and sort of starred blankly into space the entire time, with a bored expression. I honestly thought by her expression that I was wasting my time in the interview. The one time she did express herself was to ask if I would be willing to come in on the weekend occasionally so the work was done and ready for Monday, this explicitly caught the interviewer off guard as well, who apologized for the remarks. The other issue that concerned me was the interviewer repeatedly expressed concern that I "wouldn't get bored" in the position, doing the work. It sort of suggests to me, from experience, that there might be a little bit of downtime, or the work can be very menial or laborious.

I'm not in a position of desperation, where if I don't take this job, I don't eat next week. I feel this allows me to reflect a bit more clearly on things. I have concerns about my past experiences and at first glance of this company, it reminds me of a position I had previously that ended up being bad for my mental health and my career. If I were to take the job, I would still be looking for something else to "right my fit", and perhaps that is somewhat dishonest to a new employer as well.

usa jobs
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official

A Job has been Offered, but is it right for me? A Job has been Offered, but is it right for me? Reviewed by Louhi on janvier 29, 2021 Rating: 5

Aucun commentaire:

Fourni par Blogger.