I've risen to a very high title very quickly at a small firm and because of that I'm in trouble

As mentioned in the title, I was picked up out of undergraduate to work as a research analyst at a hedge fund. In my first year, I did very well in my role, and made some impactful contributions in an area adjacent to my primary responsibility; as a result, I was promoted to Director. Again, it's a small firm, so titles are generally meaningless, but I was given Director level responsibilities and started managing multiple teams.

Two years later, I got my masters (did it full-time while working full-time, virtual office business model), came out with some really great ideas and originated what is essentially the next generation of our technical systems. As a result, I was made Principal and given the title Chief Technical Officer, a title that has never been held in firm history (17 years).

A year and a half later, now, we're in a death spiral; the firm lost some major clients last year and very soon the firm will no longer be able to support its employees. I still have probably half a year and I'm putting my feelers out into the market now but it looks really tough. I know I'm not going to transfer from CTO to CTO, especially if it's a larger firm because being Mayor of a town doesn't qualify you to be Governor of a state, but I'm having trouble even getting considered for Director level jobs. It seems like I'm too young with only 5 years of working experience and even though I have all the skills/qualifications, it's just not generating results out on the job market.

I think I really need to temper my expectations at this point -- what do you guys advise as my next move?

I'm concerned the shift from c-suite to associate is going to completely break my career's momentum. What should I be expecting?

Any perspective is welcomed and will be greatly appreciated!

EDITS:

  • B.S. in Biochemistry from a top 30 school. M.S. Applied Economics from a top 10 school.
  • So far, I've only been applying for jobs through LinkedIn.
usa jobs
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official

I've risen to a very high title very quickly at a small firm and because of that I'm in trouble I've risen to a very high title very quickly at a small firm and because of that I'm in trouble Reviewed by Louhi on mai 13, 2019 Rating: 5

Aucun commentaire:

Fourni par Blogger.