How to explain leaving a toxic environment?

I recently left my previous position after only 4 months, because the working environment was extremely toxic. I was hired to lead their e-commerce with specific revenue targets by the end of the year. During the first few weeks, I identified some key issues mainly centering around their marketing. The Director of Marketing had hired an outside firm to run their digital marketing without a clear message personalized to audiences for a year, and they were running ineffective paid social campaigns. The ad campaigns were extremely general. After reviewing these issues, I created a strategy with ad campaigns specifically tailored to different audience segments and how to execute on them. I spoke to the two co-founders about what needed to change to hit the revenue goals.

This is when the issues started to occur. As a frame of reference, the upper management consists of 5 people (2 co-founders, director of marketing, director of sales and COO) and they are extremely insular. The Director of Marketing is best friends with the Director of Sales for 10 years and the Director of Sales is also dating one of the co-founders. Those three people are basically best friends. After presenting the new digital marketing strategy, I was able to convince the two co-founders to try the new direction. The Director of Marketing hated the new strategy and kept pushing back against it and the Director of Sales was basically backing her up. Meanwhile DoM kept telling me to reuse marketing assets from the previous year that already proved to ineffective. The DoM and the DoS convinced one of the co-founders to stick with the old strategy and it was very clear that I couldn't hit my revenue targets. They wanted me to 10x their revenue with their old strategy. I was stuck in the planning phase for three months trying to convince the two co-founders to change direction. Each time I was given the green light, then it would be a no a few days later because the DoM and DoS pushed back against the decision. I finally left because it became too frustrating and I couldn't even get past the planning phase to do any execution at all beyond re-designing the product pages and setting up the various accounts and tools that I need. Now I am not exactly sure how to explain or discuss my experience at the role when interviewers ask me about it.

TLDR: Upper management consisted of a small group of close friends. I got hired to 10x their online revenue, but their old marketing strategy clearly didn't work. When I advised them to change their marketing strategy, the Director of Marketing balked at the notion and told me to keep using the old strategy. Since the director of marketing was part of this close knit group of friends, I couldn't make any leeway trying to get them to change directions. I was able to convince the two co-founders to let me execute the new marketing strategy and then later be told to run everything by the director of marketing again. It became a vicious cycle of yes and nos that continued for 4 months before I finally quit and left.

usa jobs
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official

How to explain leaving a toxic environment? How to explain leaving a toxic environment? Reviewed by Louhi on mai 17, 2019 Rating: 5

Aucun commentaire:

Fourni par Blogger.