Career change, need a better strategy for getting in the door

28 y/o male in NJ. BS environmental planning (2.6 GPA), Master of public administration (4.0 GPA), both from Rutgers.

Spent the last 5 years working as a crew foreman at a state-owned plant research facility, and was very good at it. Also did about 2/3 of the job for our Director, who was three levels above me, on the promise that upon so-and-so's retirement, I'd get their job. Turns out, they changed their mind at the last second. Yes, I'm an idiot, that much has been firmly established. Unfortunately, they worked pretty hard at inventing post-facto reasons as to why I didn't deserve it, including investigations for sexual harassment and workplace violence (it's also pretty easy to blackball people in this industry, which I quickly found out anytime I tried to transfer). In light of this, I quit, bought a used truck, and am getting by working as a mobile, self-employed farm tractor mechanic. It lets me pay the bills without dipping into savings, but isn't really a great long-term plan, especially in a HCOL area.

I'm a little trigger-shy about jumping into something where I can "work my way up" again, so I've been applying for low-end mid-career jobs. Over the past year, I stopped counting at 175 applications, and so far I've had 2 interviews and one offer for $26 an hour, which I declined as I make $50 working for my own business. Obviously I need some help with changing my strategy, and that's why I'm reaching out to you guys.

My questions for you all, specifically, are:

Is it reasonable to assume that with a little resume polishing, better networking, etc., I can get a job that makes use of the education and experience, or will I have to start all over again? (Apparently my resume sucks, and I'm looking to pay someone to help me improve it).

What industries/careers can make use of what I do? I spent 5 years learning new stuff every day, and being anal about details without being an asshole about it. I'm also good at motivating others to do the same, which is why I was a good formeman. I have a substantial record of success at communicating a vision and getting outsiders from above to sign on, but this is pretty hard to sell on a resume. How can I communicate these abilities better?

To what extent should I even care about the "HR actions" taken against me? Do employers even care? What should I say if they do ask? Will they even find out, or is my old employer just going to say "he quit", and leave it at that?

Although I do have the option of expanding my small business, I've always wanted to make use of my degree somehow, and help an effective organization become even more effective. Is that stupid, or am I better off leaving the job market altogether and simply finding ways to build my mechanic business? Whoever makes the rules for the "job" game is an asshat, and I kind of enjoy not having to deal with it.

If you got this far, thanks for reading. Reddit has been surprisingly helpful to me in the past, and no good deed goes unpunished.

usa jobs
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official

Career change, need a better strategy for getting in the door Career change, need a better strategy for getting in the door Reviewed by Louhi on avril 30, 2019 Rating: 5

Aucun commentaire:

Fourni par Blogger.