How to improve "communication skills" at work? Denied same promotion twice over this.

Denied a promotion twice due to "communication skills." Here's the backstory.

I've been working at my current job for 5 years at an entry level position. The type of work is simple, but is close to my degree and somewhat aligned to my 2nd choice goal career, so I've stuck with it. I come in when called in, work tons of overtime when we are overburdened with work. I'm even the employee that makes it in when there are huge snow storms. Many people come from other departments to ask me questions if they have one dealing with paperwork with my department.

So when the next step up promotion came, I thought I had it. I was the most senior applicant, hard working, even coworkers thought I had the position for sure. But it was given to someone who had worked there about half the time I had. I asked a manager if there was something I could improve upon, and I was told it was my communication skills.

So the next few years, I get into the cosplay hobby. I go out of my way to meet cosplayers, artists, etc. I make friends with a lot of people. This results in me being asked to be a cosplay guest at a nearby convention. In the same six months, I also got asked to cosplay a character from a book for an author's table at yet another convention. I ask other people who have either tried to apply to "work" at cons as cosplay guests and hosts, and all of them told me that people usually have a resume they apply with, and that its actually great but odd that I was reached out to both times without even asking. So that to me is a sign that my communication skills are excellent, because both events will require me to deal with the public for 8-ish hours.

In the meantime at work, I was one of two people from my department asked to help beta test a new computer program. I sat in weekly meetings with department heads discussing progress and issues with the program. I was also allowed to become a trainer, which means I can train new employees. Lastly, I was working 6 days a week on top of this because we were understaffed. So that was M-F 40 hours, plus normally available OT, plus normally available OT, plus 12 hours on Sundays. My biggest clocked in week was 71.58 hours late last year.

Position opens up again, I think I have it for sure, I get passed over and told my communication skills still need work. An employee just hitting her 2 years there got the promotion. She was not chosen to work on that big project and almost never did any of the coverage when we were understaffed.

So at this point, I'm trying to figure out how I was good enough to train people, work with other departments, and even get asked to work at conventions, yet my communication skills aren't good enough. Can any of you recommend (preferably free) books or websites that show how to improve communication skills? I already have Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends & Influence People" but that's it.

I am also working on getting a certification that makes up for not having the exact degree to move up all the way at work, but I doubt it will help at this point. (The other two employees that were promoted don't have the "correct" degree and never got the certification.)

Thanks in advance.

usa jobs
usa jobs resume
usa hotel jobs
usajobs
usa jobs federal government
usa job in ksa
usa jobs
usa jobs login
usa jobs gov
usajobs.gov
www.usajobs.gov
usajobs.com
usajobs
usajobs.gov official

How to improve "communication skills" at work? Denied same promotion twice over this. How to improve "communication skills" at work? Denied same promotion twice over this. Reviewed by Louhi on mai 19, 2019 Rating: 5

Aucun commentaire:

Fourni par Blogger.